Cache/install 10.13.2 Combo Updater isn't working

znilsson
Contributor II

I pulled the 10.13.2 Combo Updater from here, uploaded the package to Jamf Admin, created a policy to cache it, and then another one to install cached once the updater has been cached.

This has worked for all prior versions of the OS, like the 10.12.6 combo updater, the 10.11.6 combo updater, etc. With the 10.13.2 updater, it caches fine, the second policy sees that it's cached (via smart group) and installs, but the install doesn't work. The log says it's successful, and the MacBook reboots, but when it comes back up it's still on 10.13.0. I tried it multiple times. Here's the log from Jamf:

Executing Policy Install 10.13.2 Combo Updater
Verifying package integrity...
Installing macOSUpdCombo10.13.2.pkg...
Successfully installed macOSUpdCombo10.13.2.pkg.
Checking for patches...
No patch policies were found.
Running Recon...
Retrieving inventory preferences from https://mycorp.jamfcloud.com/...
Locating accounts...
Locating package receipts...
Locating software updates...
Searching path: /Library/Application Support/Microsoft
Locating plugins...
Locating printers...
Searching path: /Applications
Gathering application usage information...
Blessing i386 macOS System on /...
Creating Reboot Script...

And when it comes back up, it's still on 10.13.0. Any ideas as to what's going on here? Obviously we can't have a Mac on 10.13.0 running in our environment, unpatched. I'm currently attempting a manual install of 10.13.2 via software update as a last ditch effort, but I would like to know why the combo updater didn't work from Jamf.

6 REPLIES 6

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

@znilsson

why not create a policy using the softwareupdate command with the product id for the combo pkg to automate it?

mbracco
Contributor

We had exatcly the same issue. Triggered combo update to 628 computers and after reboot all still in 10.13.1.
Only softwareupdate worked then but took hours to complete.
Launching the combo update manually on a computer worked. even an :

installer -pkg /comb...pkg -target / works
why not the policy ?
maybe a reboot issue not booting to the combo installer after ?

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Any chance you have monitors attached?

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/26394/10-13-2-combo-update#responseChild157204

--
https://donmontalvo.com

znilsson
Contributor II

@Nix4Life Yeah, that's why I'm posting here - trying to feel out what this issue is, if it's just me or if it's everybody, if it's an issue with how I did it, etc. If the consensus is just to not do the cache/install then I'll change it up.

@mbracco I experienced the same thing, running the update manually from the app store worked, but running the combo updater from Jamf using cache/install cached did not work.

@donmontalvo You have GOT to be kidding me. Having monitors attached is what's preventing it from working? Does Apple just not do QA at all any more? In your case, were you running the combo updater manually on that Mac? Or trying to run it remotely via Jamf? Did you try updating manually from the app store instead of using the combo updater?

In my case, the MacBook in question did have external monitors attached, and running it from the app store did work while the combo updater didn't.

kai_wang1
New Contributor III

I also met same issue. I have more than 1,000 iMac...

1. I install it by Apple Remote Desktop. When "Install" is completed, remote control target iMac and click restart button, then select "Restart and install update".
  2. Copy whole "Install macOS High Sierra.app" to target machine, then send UNIX command as below sudo /Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --applicationpath "/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app"/ --volume / --rebootdelay 5 --nointeraction

ammonsc
Contributor II

I am having the same issue but with the 10.13.3 Combo. Any any ideas?