Jamf - DEP Enrolled Devices & restore from iTunes Backup

EduTech
New Contributor III

Ok I have a group of 10-15 iPads some of our clinical staff use. They cannot lose the data on their iPads. These devices were not previously enrolled in our DEP, but with the new configurator I can enroll them. This does require erasing them.

I have backed up the data on one of the devices via iTunes then after enrollment attempted to restore the data back tot he device. But after the restore completes I get an unknown error has occurred.... should this be possible or am I missing something.

Bonus Note: We cannot use iCloud to backup due to HIPPA

4 REPLIES 4

Slawford
New Contributor III

Ive actually just come across the same issue today with 2 new iPhones which were enrolled via DEP , fails restoring backup with Unknown Error

qhle373
Contributor

I have done a restore from backup on a DEP device via Apple Configurator 2 which was successful.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@EduTech I think the problem you are having is trying to restore the unsupervised device backup to the same device. Let me give an example. Lets say you have two devices iPad A and iPad B. If you do a backup of iPad A in iTunes then wipe the device and try and restore the iPad A iTunes backup onto iPad A after you've enabled it in DEP it won't work. But if you restore iPad A's iTunes backup to iPad B after it has been enabled in DEP it should work. I've run into this before and in my experience if you restore the iPad's iTunes backup to a different DEP enabled device it will work fine. You can easily give it a try yourself. Hopefully you'll have the same success I've had when doing this.

Not applicable

If you back up your data to iTunes, there is no doubt that you can use it to recover your data.