Package could not be mounted - No mountable file system

boberito
Valued Contributor

I'm pushing out the installer for High Sierra with a policy. It's in a DMG to later be executed with startosinstall from Self Service.

Anyway I'm getting this error on a handful of machines and re-occuring over and over on some of the machines it's pushed to.

Downloading https://MYJAMFSERVER/Packages/Install%20macOS%20High%20Sierra.dmg... Verifying DMG... Verifying package integrity... Installing Install macOS High Sierra.dmg... Error: The package "Install macOS High Sierra.dmg" could not be mounted (no mountable file systems).

A lot of machines received it no problem, but a handful haven't with this error reoccurring. I thought maybe the connection was getting interrupted but it doesn't seem like that, if I SSH into a machine and execute the policy from the terminal I'll still see the error and never get booted from the SSH session. I don't believe I've ever seen this with other policies and packages before.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

boberito
Valued Contributor

You might be onto something. It looks like it's failing on machines that are 10.12.3 or lower. It's cached perfectly on 10.12.4 and up machines. Instead of re-pushing the package I think I'll just force these machines to update.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

bwiessner
Contributor II

@boberito

From what I have seen and tested this happens when you create packages on a APFS system like a HighSierra machine - and then deploy them to a computer that is not APFS or highSierra.

ocla__09
Contributor

I'll second that, was driving me crazy until I though to recreate the package in question on a non APFS/High Sierra machine.

The problem immediately went away.

boberito
Valued Contributor

You might be onto something. It looks like it's failing on machines that are 10.12.3 or lower. It's cached perfectly on 10.12.4 and up machines. Instead of re-pushing the package I think I'll just force these machines to update.

boberito
Valued Contributor

Confirmed it. I updated a machine to 10.12.6 and it worked perfectly. So ya, something in 10.12.4 makes it work.

chris_kemp
Contributor III

10.12.4 was when they introduced APFS capabilities.