Microsoft_AutoUpdate_3.15.18011602_Updater.pkg is not being set to Manual via Config Profile or Script

dubel
New Contributor III

I updated to Microsoft_AutoUpdate_3.15.18011602 but my config profile or script isn't setting the settings to Manual check. Has anyone else experience this or know of a solution? Thanks.

defaults write com.microsoft.autoupdate2.plist HowToCheck -string "Manual"

5 REPLIES 5

talkingmoose

Is this new behavior with Microsoft AutoUpdate? Did it work for you with earlier versions?

When setting this with a script through Jamf Pro, the script is going to run as root. You'll need to use something like Jamf's $3 variable, which substitutes the current username:

defaults write "/Users/$3/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.autoupdate2.plist" HowToCheck -string "Manual"

or

su "$3" -c 'defaults write "/Users/$3/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.autoupdate2.plist" HowToCheck -string "Manual"'

Either of these commands must be triggered by the user using something like a Login trigger from a Policy or a Self Service policy while the user is logged in to Self Service.

A configuration profile is easier to implement. Edit a copy of your com.microsoft.autoupdate2.plist file to keep only the HowToCheck key and Manual string. It'll look like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>HowToCheck</key>
    <string>Manual</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Upload that to a Custom Settings payload in a new configuration profile and be sure to apply this to the Computer level under the General payload. After saving, click the Download button at the bottom of the configuration profile to download the .mobileconfig file and allow it to install on your Mac. Relaunch Microsoft AutoUpdate and verify the settings.

bjonesrbh
New Contributor

I just tried it again, did it a few weeks ago and had the same result of it not setting it to manual. I've only tried the config profile. I've never tried it before on older version so I have no reference to it working before. I can attest to it not working on the current version.

talkingmoose

Given my instructions above, it's working for me. Are your configuration profile settings the same?

81be7138d97e4f96b54de8d22690d9c1

0c3ca19667ff426f9f24c925974498dd

00c52a26bf0f45269470b3155a53c10b

dubel
New Contributor III

Thanks, I figured out the issue. My Smart group changed since office jumped from 15.x to 16.x. Once I updated the smart groups the profile started working again. Mine is similar but I also block the Insider Channel

33372d65476841f1aa74c2db4bf931c5

bjonesrbh
New Contributor

Well crap, I misspelled Microsoft. It works!

These are not the droids you are looking for...