Apple SUS and Full Installer

bmarks
Contributor II

Maybe I am mis-remembering, but I don't remember the full macOS installer being part of the Software Update Service. But, I just turned on the SUS in Server.app 5.5 for the first time in years (to test something else) and I just noticed the High Sierra full installer is listed. Does anyone know how this works? Does the App Store app now check for a local SUS first when you try to download the full installer? Or, am I just crazy and this was always there? For a deprecated service (in theory,) this seems like an odd feature change. I did note that SUS was not listed as being removed from Server.app during the recent KBase article about services being purged going forward. The older article from 2016 announcing SUS being deprecated is still up, however. While the Caching Service has its advantages, for a place like us that prefers to have a waiting period before enabling combo/security updates, a SUS is still a better option in my opinion and if the full installer is now part of the SUS, then that's one less advantage for Caching Service.

4 REPLIES 4

bmarks
Contributor II

Here is a screenshot from my server:

cdbd1c7f247d4802828e6c64074e9677

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

@bmarks you are correct, The App Store app does check for a local SUS first when you try to download the full installer, hence some getting the "stub" installer. I will ride the local SUS until the wheels fall off. You'd be surprised by the number of posts here that could be solved by running an onsite SUS.

bmarks
Contributor II

@Nix4Life What is the stub installer? I concur with your assessment of SUS too.

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor