Renew ssl cert from alternative provider?

nelsonpark
New Contributor III

It seems we are stuck in the middle of the Symantec ssl debarcle (rapidssl in our case) and our renewee Trustico. It seems trustico yesterday revoked our wildcard certificate by sending our private keys to Symantec causing a mandatory 24 hour revocation due to security. Apparently this happened to many many certificates.

Both parties seem to be offering free renewal, leading me to believe this is trustico (or their suppliers) making a pass to grab business off the troubles Symantec, now DigiCert

Back to the question: if I renew my exact same certificate through a different ca, but same details ( wildcard cert of *.school.com for example won’t change, just different root ca’s) will that cause my currently enrolled iOS devices to drop off and no longer be able to check in and communicate?

Obviously if I change the server name, it breaks, but only changing the actual CA provider, not cert name, will that be fine?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@nocor As long as it's a cert signed by a valid public authority, you'll be fine.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@nocor As long as it's a cert signed by a valid public authority, you'll be fine.