AntiVirus for enterprise Environment

raghdasi
New Contributor III

Hello All,

Anyone out there knows, if there is any antivirus for enterprise environment that we can install it for FREE and deploy through Casper.
Your advise and recommendations highly appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10

makingare
New Contributor

Hi,
Free - now that is a bit tricky.

I can chime in with NOT for free solutions. Like Sophos with Cloud admin (for any desktop OS more or less) which we use, or others like Malwarebytes or ESET NOD32.

There is often a discussion that Macs don't need antivirus. Personally I believe a computer with sizeable and interesting market share, like Macs now have is vulnerable to attacks.

bryanoneill
New Contributor II

Im using Sophos with cloud admin

pmatharu
New Contributor

+1 for Sophos Central

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

We're a McAfee shop, since we have 65000 windows boxes with McAfee on it. Not free, and overall not a good product on Macs due to it's overhead impacts. But it's a necessary evil.

Emmert
Valued Contributor

I'd like to use Avira (free) because I've had good experience with it on my desktop and laptop, but we've had difficulty getting it packaged properly and haven't rolled it out en masse yet.

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

I’m in @easyedc boat...but we use Symantec Endpoint for the same reason outlined.

jlongrcsd
New Contributor

@makingare @bryanoneill @pmatharu For now we're using Sophos, but not centrally managed. We find that it misses a lot of dubious browser extensions and the like (adware and PUPs), and that either manual cleaning or resorting to a third-party cleanup utility is often necessary. Have you had a similar or better experience with Sophos? Thanks. (Apologies for hijacking the thread.)

flowdelplaya
New Contributor

I honestly don't know how any engineer worth their salt can recommend Sophos Central for Macs.

-There are no ways to modify notifications. It is all or nothing. -The notifications themselves are largely useless, do not tell you how to resolve the problem
-The useless notifications might be an 'okay' thing if you could actually get their support department to help you (Good luck!), and chances are they'll help you fix that one small problem on one system without actually fixing the larger issue... So guess what you're working on next week: Another system with the same or similar issue.

I guess if you want a system to spam you with useless notifications so that you don't pay attention to what's going on in your environment in regards to viruses, Sophos is the way to go.

poormatt
New Contributor III

We use System Center Endpoint protection. It's not free per say but it is included if your company is enrolled in various licensing agreements (Core CAL, Enterprise CAL, etc). Works well for us.

GregE
Contributor

I've found Sophos InterceptX is good if:
1. You don't run flash video in FireFox or else 'LoadLib' will crash it for you (Windows to be fair).
2. You don't Time Machine your Mac server to a NAS as Sophos will block that from happening unless you disable it.
3. You want a package installer (not just an install script), even though it just downloads the latest version anyway.
4. You want to re-download above installer every 90 days when it expires and re-upload it to your DP.
5. You have LadiBug document cameras for lecturing and want to use them (it blocks them).

Sorry that probably helps you look for something else more than anything!