incoming new iPads-Asset Tags and Serial #s

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

HI Everyone,
This is not Jamf related.

We are getting a large refresh shipment of iPads and I am wondering what folks are using as deployment strategies with regards to asset tag/serial number matchups.

"Apple's way" (zero touch deployment LOL) is to scan the serial number on the inside box (from 10packs), and then scan the Asset tag number, then strip the S from the serial numbers, and then upload. I have found that the Serial # on the box is often blurry and not easy to scan and takes multiple tries, and also I am then relying on someone else to scan and pay attention so they don't skip a line, scan the correct box, correct Asset tag.....etc

In past deployments I have run the iPads through Apple Configurator, giving them a sequential numbered NAME at activation, and activating then in the order of their Asset tag#. I could match the device name with the given Asset Tag and then upload Asset Tag #s with the MUT. Unfortunately with the latest Apple Configurator 2, you cannot just feed the iPads in, you have to "Apply" the blueprint to each device, with the usual "Are you SURE..." ... so annoying!!!!!!!!! Of course at the moment Apple Configurator 2 will not even open in Sierra even after deleting the app and the items in the Container folder. and reinstalling...
"failed to initialize mobilerestore global data", and a quick google of this shows others with the problem, and nobody with the solution. Grrrr....

Since we are 1 to 1 iPads these middle schoolers tend to not remember their AD credentials, and so we assign the devices to the students manually by searching the asset tag in the JSS and then doing an ldap lookup to assign the student, therefore the asset tag #s need to be uploaded before distribution.

Does anyone have any other workflows or handy tips for this specific thing x 3000 ipads?

1 REPLY 1

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

What I do is have our temp scan in a barcode then scan the box and apply a tag on the spot to it, then stack. We have a second temp work on the stack casing it. I then take the final spreadsheet, remove the S and use the asset tag importer script to import them into Jamf Pro after the kids enroll for the first time in the fall. Until then we count them out into classroom stacks and assign them to a teacher. I use an in-house pattern to give the devices proper names as part of the DEP prestage.

If you are buying that many, consider working with your Apple rep to see about leveraging custom services such as applying tags at the factory. We buy them about 1500 at a time so we don't qualify for that, but your rep might be able to do that. One thing I have our rep do is provide all the MAC addresses for them in addition to the serial numbers so we can not only get them DEP enabled but that way I can give our network guys a listing of MAC addresses in a single spreadsheet.