VMware Fusion 10 licensing

irtmailbox2017
New Contributor II

Trying to deploy VMware Fusion 10 through Jamf but can't get the install to pick up the embedded license. Have found two different links (https://resources.jamf.com/documents/technical-papers/Packaging-and-Deploying-VMware-Fusion-with-the-Casper-Suite.pdf and https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2058680) that say to do it two different ways but neither work.

11 REPLIES 11

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@irtmailbox2017 I've successfully used the instructions here with VMWare Fusion 10. I skip step 9 though as I'm not typically deploying a VM with the software. You can also try the information here for how to apply a license key. That option might work for you as well.

irtmailbox2017
New Contributor II

We followed the VMware instructions (also skipping Step 9, for the same reason) but we keep getting ask for the license key when we install the app on the computer. The "serializevmware" script might work but, the way I understand it, that requires fusion to already be installed and we are trying to get a new version, with a new key, installed on our Macs without requiring the users to enter the license key

irtmailbox2017
New Contributor II

Problem resolved. Found out that the instructions at https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2058680 work if you don't make your package with 'Composer'. Funny part is that we did the 8.5.10 upgrade that way and it worked just fine.

tsylwest
Contributor

Is there any way to hide the serial number from the Fusion GUI after the serialising part? (like in the mass deploy method by adjusting the deploy.ini file)

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@tsylwest we haven't packaged VMWare Fusion 10 yet, but have you tried uncommenting showLicenseKeyViews and setting to false in the Volume License section of the deploy.ini?

I'm waiting for our volume license key to come in, else I would have tested and posted result.

[UI Defaults]
# promptEULA = true
# promptRegistration = true
# promptDataCollection = true
# showLicenseKeyViews = true
--
https://donmontalvo.com

tsylwest
Contributor

@donmontalvo thanks for the suggestion :-) That does indeed work as long as I package the whole app along with the serial, the thing I was trying to achieve was to serialize a currently installed trial version of Fusion, which I also know how to do, but the serial number is held in a plain text file at that point, so I wanted to see if there was a way to serialize a trial version without leaving this Volume License key in a plain text file :-) (sorry I should have been a bit clearer in my Original Post, my bad)

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@tsylwest I've used the following script to accomplish a rotation of the license key. We had to do it not long ago after we purchase some additional licenses and wanted to combine the multiple keys we had with a single key. The $4 variable is where you put the license key so that key will live in the Jamf Pro database and be delivered with the script which is what it sounds like you're wanting.

#!/bin/bash
########################################################################
# Created By: Ross Derewianko Ping Identity Corporation
# Creation Date: Jun, 2016
# Last modified: Jun 29, 2016
# Brief Description: Serializes VMWare Fusion
########################################################################
##get SN
if [ "$4" != "" ] && [ "$serial" == "" ]; then
  serial=$4
fi

# Has VMWare Fusion actually been installed?
function checkvmware() {
if [ ! -x /Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/Initialize VMware Fusion.tool ];
then
    echo "Error: VMware Fusion tool is not executable."
    exit 1
    else
    serialize
fi
}

function serialize() {
#Everything hopefully checks out. Run the serialiser.
echo "serial installed"
/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/Initialize VMware Fusion.tool set "" "" ${serial}
exit 0
}

checkvmware

tsylwest
Contributor

@mpermann Thanks for that :-) I will check out the script :-)

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

That is a nice script ;)

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

It worked great for me Ross. Many thanks!

valentin_peralt
New Contributor III

@mpermann Nice script. Where exactly in the script does the serial go? Meaning, where do I put it (there are two lines with $4.