OSX Sierra PaperCut SMB Queue wrong authentication credentials

tnielsen
Valued Contributor

Problem: User sends job to printer but under the WRONG user account! So if Tim sends a job to the papercut printer, the job shows up under Bob instead.

We have our macs printing to windows print queues. This has worked for awhile without fail until recently. Here is an example of how we add our printers on OSX:

lpadmin -p "Printer" -E -v smb://print.domain.com/Printer -m "/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/Canon iR-ADV C7200s GX400V1.0US" -L "Best Printer Ever" -o auth-info-required=negotiate -o printer-is-shared=false

This will add our printer on the mac. A logout and log back into the computer resolves the issue but I have absolutely no clue how a job sent by Tim could show up under Bob's queue.

Question for anyone reading this that's familiar with CUPS2.2.... where are printer authentication credentials stored on the mac?

1 REPLY 1

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

We have a similar setup. Authentication for Papercut Printing happens in a few places and for different reasons. One, the SMB print queue may require authorization which would be stored in the user's Keychain. Two, the Papercut Client stores its info in ~/Library/Preferences... usually, this depends on which version you're actually using though. And three, anything that Kerberizes the machine can override those first two settings. I'm talking about things like NoMAD or Enterprise Connect (Which we use) and so far as I know, they both use the user keychain.

When you say it "shows up" as Bob, etc. Do you mean that the papercut service is logging it as "Bob", is it being held under a different release queue, something else?