Kernel Panicking - Netinstall

simon_brown
New Contributor III

Hi I have a 10.13.3 .nbi file which I use the same file on various Mac mini's in different offices for reinstalling macOS however on one particular mac seems to cause the clients to kernel panic or come up with the prohibited symbol when loading to it from the network. Has anyone come across this?
Have replaced the .nbi file /restarted the Mac, turned off and on the service, recreated the NetBootSP0 folder however no go.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance Simon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

simon_brown
New Contributor III

Cheers for the responses - did try with a new laptop as well, and still the same issue.
under the netinstall tab in Server.app I changed the availability from HTTPS to NFS. It seems to have fixed it, not sure if that was the cause however as High Sierra has been very inconsistent I've found.

Thanks

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

@simon.brown Since this device is different than the others, one possible cause could be that the device is in your "DisabledSystemIdentifiers" array in the NBImageinfo.plist. Another could be that it doesn't meet the requirements to run 10.13.3

Look
Valued Contributor III

Install something less than 10.13 on it, manually update it to 10.13, then try the netboot again. Maybe it's far enough out of date that there is something in the firmware that needs updating first (especially if you have firmware updates disabled on an internal SUS).

simon_brown
New Contributor III

Cheers for the responses - did try with a new laptop as well, and still the same issue.
under the netinstall tab in Server.app I changed the availability from HTTPS to NFS. It seems to have fixed it, not sure if that was the cause however as High Sierra has been very inconsistent I've found.

Thanks