Scheduling caching of OS installer?

mccallister
Contributor

I want to do my first test of scheduling OS 10.13 installer cache tonight at 7 on a particular machine. I "think" I have the options set correctly, but when I look at policies, next to the policy the green or grey dot does not appear. "Enabled" is checked in the policy.

I've also included a screenshot of the scheduling. Do I leave the trigger options blank, or do I need to specify recurring check-in? Even when I specify the recurring ch150984176b304144a0529207b7e999c1
eck-in, it does not appear in the policies with a green or grey dot.

06bc327b855c485fbd07dc92c4941280

5 REPLIES 5

bvrooman
Valued Contributor

If I understand what you're wanting, you would need to specify a trigger (otherwise nothing will ever cause the policy to run, even after it's activated), enable the policy, and set the activation date/time.

mccallister
Contributor

That's the odd part bvrooman, even with "recurring check-in" specified there is no green or grey dot to the left of the policy. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

justin_smith
New Contributor III

Until you reach the activation window, the policy should not turn green. I'm not sure what time zone you're in, but it's not yet 7pm here on the east coast.

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

so I just looked at my active policy. It has a green dot. It needs a trigger (recurring check-in for ex). Do you have it scoped to any particular machines? Also take note, are you wanting a server time limitation or a client. We have computers through every US Timezone, so we set it to client side times, since 7pm est is still 4pm (and working hours - aka massive network impact) for our California folks.

7fd946d2cc3f4d999dfad7a1c91a08a1
bdd33ab57a9f47f0a9f764efd4f6ffc5

schradera
New Contributor III

If you base a policy on Server Side time frames, it won't appear to be enabled until the time you specified. You'll also need a trigger.

I always build this part of policy building up too much in my head. I will forever think that an ongoing policy will happen all the time regardless of what triggers I enable.

Policy runs when you tell it to, based on the triggers and frequency. If I want it to run more than once a day, but only when someone logs on, then
Trigger = at logon
Frequency = ongoing