VirtualBox Extension Pack

Ken_Bailey
New Contributor III

We currently have a need to know what computers have an extension pack installed as part of oracle. Having a hard time finding a good way to do this. Was wondering if anybody had any experience with thi.

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Bailey
New Contributor III

Actually was able to get this.
Created Extension Attribute that ran script to list the extensions and then grep the specific extension I was looking for.

pete_c
Contributor III

On a 10.13.3 host, I installed VirtualBox 5.2.8. I opened Composer and created a new package using Normal Snapshot, let the first half finished, then installed the current version of the Extension Pack, then completed the snapshot in Composer.

Upon inspection there's a file, ExtPack.xml, located at /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/ - so should be easy enough to create an extension attribute either checking for the existence of this file, grepping the Version revision string, etc.

I haven't tried this with any previous versions of VB or macOS.

bjones
New Contributor III

@Ken.Bailey Good afternoon i am trying to solve for the same issue do you mind sharing the script and process you use to gather this information? I am unable to get the exact info we are looking for.

qharouff
New Contributor II

@bjones

It should be as simple as checking to see if the file exists on the device. This has been working for us:

#!/bin/sh

# Check to see if a VirtualBox Extension Pack is installed

if [ -e /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/ExtPack.xml ] ; then
    echo "<result>Yes</result>"
else
    echo "<result>No</result>"
fi

exit 0