Apple Classroom, several teachers per iPad?

joelreid
New Contributor III

We've had good success using Apple Classroom functionality, but not configuration. Our iPads are not one-to-one, even for faculty. We're hoping use Classroom in faculty-reservable labs. The deployed student units are configured for Shared iPad, we're using ASM sync, and that all has been working fine.

In Apple's Classroom Help it is a noted requirement that Shared iPad be turned off for the teacher's iPad. We're fine with that, in principle, but have only been able to get Apple Classroom to work for a lone teacher per teacher iPad. I don't see any documentation or (procedures elsewhere) of how to select a teacher group for one iPad rather than one class, or even tell the Classroom app in person which teacher is using it (tap their name in the upper-left... is that actually a menu?).

Everything is set up on the server for the Shared iPad pool DEP Prestage, for teachers and occational teacher groups, and ASM User/Class mapping, but the only thing I can find that matters client-side is the teacher unit's JSS record's setting for Mobile Devices→User and Location→Username, which is obviously not a group but a single person. Jamf tech papers, e.g.
here, just list the requirement: "Teachers assigned to iPads in the JSS" …those are both plural, which has me worried it instead means that one-to-one is the only option.

Hoping for a link to better documentation or someone's "here's how we do it" page, or just a hint of what to try next, if this is indeed possible. If I'm on a dead end, please also say so—better to know. Thanks!

[ JSS 9.101…, iOS & Classroom app up-to-date. ]

0 REPLIES 0