Java 10

Jason
Contributor II

Has anyone started with Java 10 yet? I'm reading through the documentation but don't see deployment.config or deployment.properties mentioned. Are they still used? Anything else replacing them?

3 REPLIES 3

H3144-IT
Contributor II

Why would you want to start with Java 10 Deployments?

Java 8 is LTS (Long Term Support) - Java 9 + Java 10 will only have a very short Shelf Life; see: Oracle Java SE Support Roadmap

followed by the Release of Java 11, which will be the next LTS Version of Java, but at present the Version Numbering is a bit of a mess, because Java 11 might come out as Version 18.9 LTS.

Jason
Contributor II

Whatever product is up to date and is receiving security updates is fine with me. We don't have any paid Java support, but we're updating every time a new java comes out to stay current with security patching. Also that's a bit off topic. There should still be an understanding of how to manage different products and I'm looking to get ahead and prepare for it if any users find a business need for it.

H3144-IT
Contributor II

I don't think that any Application will require JAVA 10, simply because of its short Shelf Live.

It got released in March & will be obsolete in September of the same year.

JAMF runs on Java 8 & they have not bothered upgrading to Java 9 or 10.

I have not come across any Software that required either Java 9 or 10 (!)
And I assume everyone will wait for Java 11, which is due for End of Sept. 2018,
according to the JAVA 11 Developer Page

Put Resources towards other Projects & check back in Mid-August, once the first RC is expected.