10.13.4 NetBoot Image creates unbootable drive

mfcfadmin
Contributor II

I've done this procedure for years.
macOS 10.13.4
Jamf Imaging 10.2.2 (since we hit the alphanumeric password bug)
AutoDMG 1.8
AutoCasperNBI 1.41

The NetBoot Image created seems to boot and image fine
except it reboots to a flashing folder with a question mark.
Happens regardless of workflow/configuration used even a 10.13.3.
If the 10.13.3 NetBoot Image is used, the 10.13.4 workflow/configuration works fine.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mfcfadmin
Contributor II

NetBoot Images are working again under 10.13.6 (broken for 4 & 5).

> Apple has announced that its upcoming macOS Mojave release for Macs will officially be the last to support 32-bit apps

But you now get "Jamf Imaging not optimized for your Mac. This app needs to be updated by its developer to improve compatibility."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Look
Valued Contributor III

It also won't build NetInstalls with anything other than vanilla settings, they seem to have pretty much borked System Image Utility!

tim_rees
Contributor

Hey @mfcfadmin

We are having the exact same problem here... I fixed it, but.... With the changes in 10.13.4 to do with Kernel Extensions, and the MDM profile "allow" thing (its referenced in a few other posts, sorry I can't be more specific) I'm having to investigate DEP... Which we all know is useless in a computer lab environment...

Anyway, I'll stop whinging, the fix is to create HFS dmg's with AutoDMG. You can find the setting for this in the Advanced Options Menu (In the Window men in AutoDMG). I used this dmg to feed AutoCasperNBI, and to install on the machines. I will also be honest, I haven't tested this with 10.13.4, only .3

In my opinion, if you can get away with it, stay with 10.12.6 until they annouce 10.14, and if they don't fix DEP so you can re-install and configure with 1-2 touches, install Linux. (I'm not sure how Sarcastic i'm being with that comment.. I'm almost considering it!)

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

I believe there's a bug in .4 with asr restore as well. I filed a bug report, we will see if it goes anywhere.

hkabik
Valued Contributor

I was experiencing this too. My work around is to manually boot into the recovery partition after Jamf Imaging completes and manually select the drive I just imaged as the startup volume. It then reboots into the proper disk and finishes the imaging/config as normal. It makes it less automated, but seems to do the job.

mfcfadmin
Contributor II

NetBoot Images are working again under 10.13.6 (broken for 4 & 5).

> Apple has announced that its upcoming macOS Mojave release for Macs will officially be the last to support 32-bit apps

But you now get "Jamf Imaging not optimized for your Mac. This app needs to be updated by its developer to improve compatibility."

tnielsen
Valued Contributor

I'm not sure what you guys were doing differently, but I was able to netboot to 10.13.5. I think I used autodmg to create the 10.13.5 barebone then used autocaspernbi to create the netboot directory structure. It was absolutely working for a month or so until i went to 10.13.6