Does Apple maintain a build version list?

stephanpeterson
Contributor

Does Apple maintain a list of build versions? I'm looking for a list that would indicate the build versions that correspond to the OS and patch levels.

I can easily get the build version with "sw_vers -productVersion" but it'd be nice if Apple had a list I can reference that allows me to know if build version 16G1314 on 10.12.6 is fully patched. Which it is as of the date I'm posting this.

8 REPLIES 8

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

stephanpeterson
Contributor

@dpertschi Thanks, but I'd already found that document from Apple. It doesn't appear to be updated as it doesn't list 16G1314 which is the build version on 10.12.6 on a rMBP that's all patched up.

I'm looking for a list that's more detailed.

mark_mahabir
Valued Contributor

I often refer to the Releases section of the wikipedia pages for macOS Sierra and macOS High Sierra.

These are usually updated long before the Apple pages are updated.

Quan_nong
Contributor

I've been searching for this too. Had to rely on my own environment test machine to determine the build version to the patched install and then use a smart group to determine which machines are on the latest version.

Wish there was a official site where its listed and updated

stephanpeterson
Contributor

Thanks everyone. It doesn't appear that what I'm looking for exists. It's great that a crowd-sourced version exists on Wikipedia, but it'd of course be better for Apple to provide this as it would be perceived, right or wrong, as most correct.

cleverleys
Contributor

@stephanpeterson My absolute go to app for this is an app called "MacTracker" http://mactracker.ca. It details every piece of hardware, software, OS for both Mac and iOS. It lists build numbers, what is supported still or when it became unsupported.

ffe45f1f25bf4b688d41976a06e4a62c
cc893875a53b429499872755ca00d067

I've attached a couple of screenshots....

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Mactracker came to mind also. It has a lot of info. You should find it all in there.

Edit: it should be noted of course that you sometimes have to wait a few days for the developer to update the app with the latest info and models, etc, but usually it's not a long wait.

stephanpeterson
Contributor

I've ended up going with the release histories that are maintained on Wikipedia. Here's the one for Catalina:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_Catalina#Release_history

They exist for the entirety of Mac OS X/macOS and they're now my go to.