Self Service on iOS only shows Splash Page

billystanton29
New Contributor II

We have an issue with new devices at the moment in that once Self Service has installed itself and we launch, we are only presented with the Self Service splash screen "Welcome to JAMF Self Service..... Contact your IT administrator for more information"

We've also seen a small number of devices show up the error "The required managed settings were not received from the server."

We've checked with JAMF support and they are advising that we do not have the correct APNS ports open, but we have these open and all is working.

We have changed Self Service so that installs via VPP, and have also setup the App Configuration settings as per the following KB article; https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/articles/370/manually-deploying-jamf-self-service-for-ios

We've updated to JAMF 10.3.1-t1522933524 and removed self service and reinstalled, but get the same issues.

Most devices are on iOS 11.3 or 11.3.1

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

12 REPLIES 12

aastechvendors
New Contributor II

We are having the same issue after Self Service was upgraded to 10.3.0 by JAMF - all iPads have lost connection to JSS server.
JAMF 10.4.0 now - same result as with JAMF 10.3.1

RLR
Valued Contributor

We are getting the same thing. I've turned off the App version of Self Service and are currently using the web clip version.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

I am on 9.101.3 (hosted) and am NOT seeing this - FYI. Our Self Service app is managed as a VPP app (not in Settings) and has updated to 10.3.0 on the iPads and is still working.

DinnerTIME
New Contributor II

Hi Everyone,

We are experiencing the same problem with any new devices that are set up. It seems to be only isolated to iPads at this stage. I'm going to see if I can enroll a device running an older version of iOS and see if that helps.

Andreas_Schenk
Contributor
Contributor

We are seeing this on at least 2 servers (out of 35) on 10.4.0-t1524514850

I don't see any correlation with iOS versions or other factors yet.

hhochwald
New Contributor II

Same here but only on selfenrolled ios devices

DinnerTIME
New Contributor II

I've been in contact with Jamf support - the support technician seems to think this is a known issue where the user of a device launches self-service before the managed app configuration is installed to tell the self-service app to re-direct to the jamf-pro server.

The Jamf technician said the current workaround is to wait 5 minutes to launch the app or wait until the "Managed App Configuration" completes for the device.

However, this issue seems to be present on devices I didn't touch for up to 48 hours - after confirming a few app installs.

I've just tested this workaround on a new device. It has not worked for me - but I thought I'd share this information in the hopes it may help someone else.

Andreas_Schenk
Contributor
Contributor

The issue happened for some of our customers who had it running untouched a long time (half year or more).

After looking into 3-4 servers, I noted that all affected servers showed the app configuration xml in the Jamf Pro Server as only 3-4 lines. It looks like a newline/linebreak thing. We have not seen the issue on servers, where the app configuration xml has each xml key on a separate line.
Changing / renewing the app configuration xml with a new copy/paste from https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/articles/370/manually-deploying-jamf-self-service-for-ios
fixed the problem on the first server where we tried it.

AFAIK if you copy/paste with firefox, it might end up without the correct line breaks, putting the xml in just 3-4 lines.
Copy/Paste using Safari or Chrome has shown to be better.

My speculation is that some change on Jamfs side for the current versions got more picky on the xml being correctly formatted.

But this is just observation and speculation. Still you guys might give it a try and report back to confirm or deny ;)

billystanton29
New Contributor II

Hi,

For what its worth, I've just gone into the App Configuration panel and removed the "/" at the end of our URL.

Refresh self service on one of the devices and this is now working.

May be a coincidence and we tried this before, but might be worth others trying it also!

DinnerTIME
New Contributor II

@Andreas_Schenk @billystanton29

Thanks for the information, both of you. Andreas, I think you hit the nail on the head in regards to the xml being a little more picky. I actually did the opposite of billystanton, and added the "/" at the end of our jamf server url after looking at https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/articles/370/manually-deploying-jamf-self-service-for-ios.

Big thanks! This worked like a charm.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

I was told that changing anything (like the slash) would push out the app configuration again. So the slash might not be critical, if the XML is cleaned up..

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

I just experienced this myself. Jamf Pro 10.29 (on-prem) and various versions of iOS 14 managed devices.

Self Service app is automatically installed on all managed iOS devices. Log in is not required.

"Welcome...Please contact your IT Administrator"