10.4 upgrade JamfAgent permissions error

daubenspeckm
New Contributor

We upgraded the server to 10.4 last evening now every Mac client has an You don't have permission to use the application "JamfAgent."

ec4c7366d0c242e98ef18ea7ba432d7d

Clicking OK does nothing as it just immediately re-appears continuously. We have tried to add it to allow it in the configuration profile, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

@daubenspeckm You probably have folder whitelisting restrictions on. You need to whitelist /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Jamf.app.

I ran into this too, and put a ticket in as I have no idea why they wouldn't mention in the release notes they were introducing a new process that attempts to launch repeatedly. I was told it doesn't do anything now but exit itself, but will be used in the future.

FYI - this comes up if you have a dev environment set up for testing updates. Highly recommended.

nathandyer
New Contributor

Hi! I just updated our server to 10.4 today and all my clients are seeing this issue as well. We also have folder whitelisting restrictions turned on, so I will make the change to allow that folder, but I'm curious why this is happening all of a sudden. Is /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Jamf.app new as of 10.4?

blinvisible
Contributor

This just started hitting us as well. It only seems to appear for non-admin users. We do not make use of any app restrictions, however we were forced to adopt a Restrictions config profile in order to work around a bug that disabled the built-in cameras while also performing FileVault Key Redirection. I'm wondering if this is another bug of Jamf-created profiles managing things they shouldn't/aren't defined in the UI.

blinvisible
Contributor

False alarm on my part. Someone had enabled local (not MDM-managed) Parental Controls with app restrictions, with none of the jamf binaries set as allowed apps. To my knowledge, the Jamf Pro UI does not report the state of local parental controls, so it was not something to which we had any insight until a tech went on-scene. Sorry for the misinformation.