Enabling Parental Controls borking Jamf binary?

ChrisJScott-wor
New Contributor III

I'm trying to enroll a system in JAMF and then enable Parental Controls for an account in order to use the system in a restricted manner while being able to "stay in touch" with it using JAMF.

Unfortunately, it seems as if the jamf binary isn't running when logged in as the controlled account. Any thoughts on this?

Test system is running macOS 10.12.x.
Logging in to the controlled account results in a few pop ups including one for the jamfagent - "always allowing" that results in an aicon in the Applications folder (simple finder) named jamfagent.

But the binary doesn't seem to check in unless you manually launch that jamfagent.

Am I hoping for too much here?

1 REPLY 1

rfreeborn
New Contributor III

I am having a similar issue with what appears to be launch agents and daemons for jamf and various auto updates we have set up on account created by an assessment browser used by our state department of education for End-Of-Course testing. Questar Secure Browser. The latest version when installing on High Sierra now installs and creates a local account called qai_asmnt with Parental Controls set to lock down account to a simple finder environment and launches the secure browser. When you login to account the Parental controls sees all these agents and daemon's running and forces the browser to close. Prompts to always allow begin popping up for all these processes and if you click allow you of course are prompted to enter admin user and password. This is an impossible task to manage at client level for all our students when they begin testing so I am trying to figure out how to modify the Parental Controls via mcx to allow those background processes, especially Jamf to continue running and not kill the app. Is anyone familiar with this secure browser and does anyone have any ideas or solutions worked out.