Reinstall a clean macOS with one button

prl
Contributor

They posted this on Jamf.com - thought it more appropriate to share here: sorry if this is a repost.

Reinstall a clean macOS with one button

27 REPLIES 27

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

Good find. Too bad it will only work on APFS right now

Tangentism
Contributor II

Aren't they soon going to implement a 'factory reset' option on macOS similar to what iOS has?

prl
Contributor

@Nix4Life Then upgrade comrade https://github.com/kc9wwh/macOSUpgrade

prl
Contributor

@Tangentism well, yes.. the workflow shared is essentially a 'factory reset' - no telling how long until it's part of the user interface as a button in macOS or Jamf Pro.

larsc
New Contributor II

Hey,
I've been trying to do this a couple of times now, following the instructions on https://www.jamf.com/blog/reinstall-a-clean-macos-with-one-button/ to the point, but it just gives back

> Result of command:

> Usage: startosinstall --volume <target volume path>

in the JSS log.
And the machine does nothing, Self Service still in focus. No difference if I add the '--volume' flag, it behaves the same. The command runs just fine if I type it directly into Terminal on the machine that I want to reinstall.
And yes, the machine has an APFS disk.

Any suggestions? Thx.

burnhamt
New Contributor III

Will this work for macOS Majave when it gets release next week?

marklamont
Contributor III

yes it does. 10.13.4 and up.

Look
Valued Contributor III

@larsc you need to quit Self Service as part of the script, since JAMF 10 this does not stop already initiated policeis from completing.
Something like as follows.

#!/bin/bash
osascript -e 'tell application "Self Service" to quit'
/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --applicationpath /Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app --eraseinstall --newvolumename "Macintosh HD" --agreetolicense --nointeraction

rastogisagar123
Contributor II

python will be nice way to do this!!

Sagar Rastogi

j_meister
Contributor II

I would also be interested if a delete and install is supported through jamf Pro's Web UI?

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Try the Erase&Install.app from ProWareHouse via https://bitbucket.org/prowarehouse-nl/erase-install/

Super cool application that wrapped the "oneliner" in a single app. Create a external disk, with the app and installers on it and you are done.
Or scope it to people that are going to offboard your organisation with the application, required Mojave/High Sierra installers and let them erase them self.

There are many options within this application, like unmanaging the device in Jamf or removing it etc.

walts_9
New Contributor III

I'm running into issues with this too on a 2018 MBP. I keep getting the attached error. The installer is the most up to date for 10.13.6. fc2e7b258f354860b94e377b0ff7bf55

djrich29
New Contributor III

I had that error a few weeks ago then i used Greg Neagle's python script to download the HS installers and had no issues after that. I suggest you give that a try, it's a very useful script.

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2018/02/27/using-installinstallmacos-py-to-download-macos-high-sierra-installers/

jtrant
Valued Contributor

I'm seeing this too, and can't figure out what's wrong. If I create a bootable USB drive using the same disk image it works fine.
If I try to open it from /Applications I get a message stating "This copy of the Install macOS application is too old to be opened on this version of macOS".

Downloading the installer using the "installmacos.py" script results in the same error.

tomhastings
Contributor II

Walts.9 - I had the same error. When I removed all the it worked.
I also did not have --nointeraction

cboatwright
New Contributor III

I have begun using this as a Self Service policy with Mojave 10.14.1 - no problems!

Now if only DEP/prestage enrollment could be forced on macOS, but the end user still has the option to skip network connection...

talkingmoose

@walts.9, you have a couple of unnecessary options in your screenshot. Possibly, because you've included them, you're seeing the wrong behavior.

Don't include the --applicationpath and --nointeraction options.

You want to include the --eraseinstall and --agreetolicense options.

The --newvolumename option is... um... optional.

KeithWild
New Contributor II

I have tried implementing this and I have a computer that is stuck in pending to deliver the installer app. I am not sure why it is not moving beyond pending. Any thoughts as to where I can look to find out why it is stuck in pending or any information I can provide on my setup to see what I might have done wrong? I am very new to JAMF and have been tasked at looking at how JAMF can help us with managing and imaging our computers. Thanks!

franton
Valued Contributor III

I am using @grahamrpugh 's handy project to do all of this stuff. Have a look: https://github.com/grahampugh/erase-install

mlitton
New Contributor II

@franton if you are testing and want the script to delete, do I need to make this variable .. yes? And also have the --erase in parameter 4

Safety mechanism to prevent unwanted wipe while testing

erase="no"

mhegge
Contributor III

It appears there is some important data missing in the instructions. Caching the package (silently installing) does not place the installer into the Applications folder on the device, it will place it in the Waiting Room (Library>Application Support>JAMF).

Anything after that improper instruction will not work.

More detail as to how to get the Install macOS High Sierra or Install macOS Mojave.app on the computers needs to be specified.

• Install cached Policy based on cached installer or what?

https://www.jamf.com/blog/reinstall-a-clean-macos-with-one-button/

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@mhegge Actaully, if you read it closely it never mentions caching the installer. From the instructions, step 4:

4. Next, make a policy to run the package and deliver the installer silently onto the target Macs ahead of time.

After uploading the package created in Composer in step 1 you actually run that package, or install it. Since that package is simply dropping the installer into the Applications folder the macOS installer does not run, it just gets dropped to Applications.

Otherwise it would require an additional policy to run the cached package. Which would be inefficient.

mhegge
Contributor III

@stevewood It mentions "Cache" in several areas. If caching is not involved, it should not mention it as it is confusing.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@mhegge agreed. Didn't see that further down the page since I was only looking at the top where the initial instructions are.

mhegge
Contributor III

The word "cache" should be replaced with "Deploy" or "Exists" depending on the context.

jhuls
Contributor III

@mhegge Cache is simply a term being used here and is commonly utilized in the IT world to various degrees.

The only point to this that I see could be argued to change is the one time where it states "identify whether the Mojave installer has been cached to your Macs" and change to "identify whether the Mojave installer has been copied to your Macs". The others are fine as they're listed for Display Name and a Smart Computer Group. They're nothing more than labels describing what's intended to occur and the terminology fits even if it doesn't fit with the Jamf cache feature.

Not to sound like I'm judging or anything but anyone administering Jamf should understand that and be reading instructions carefully to understand what's going on as well as test, test, test before a real deployment.

I know my vote doesn't count but while I don't think it's a bad idea to change it I also don't think it's a necessity.

jschank
Contributor

Looking over this process to see if our group will implement. I do have a few questions.

1. Does this still only work for APFS devices?
  2. The Policy "Cache Install macOS Catalina.app" The 1st step has a Files & Processes with Command /usr/sbin/softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer. What is this for? Is this just to get the macOS? Do I need this after I upload the Catalina pkg by following the Composer steps? The 2nd step for Policy "Cache Install macOS Catalina.app". Has the pkg created in Composer. Just to be sure I am just removing the Files & Process entry and adding the pkg? Or is that a typo and should be a totally new Policy by cloning and renaming the Policy?
  3. Creating the Self Service button. the frequency is set to ongoing. Why? I would think once per computer is the correct setting. That way it removes the button from Self Service when the button is selected.

The process does seem to work from me just not sure I have it setup the correct way. Catalina pkg created and uploaded to Jamf Policy "Cache Install macOS Catalina.app" created which installs pkg if in scope, excluded if Catalina version is already in Applications. Policy "Upgrade to macOS Catalina" with Command '/Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall' --agreetolicense --forcequitapps. (Not erasing in this setup)

It takes about 10 minutes for the policy in Self Service to complete and reboot before the upgrade starts. After install Catalina 10.15.6 is the new version and data is intact. After reboot this policy is still in self service due to frequency set to ongoing.