Jamf - Apple Configurator

aauriemma
New Contributor

I Have a cart of 25 iPads. I use to use AC 1 and could restore from backup and prepare the ipads at the same time, thus enrolling them into our old MDM.

AC2 is still a pain. Does anyone know how i can enroll my iPads into jamf while also maintain the same look and feel across them all. I tried backing up a supervised iPad that was enrolled in Jamf. Had my background and app layout all set (i pushed the apps to it from the Jamf console). But when i tried restoring the backup to a different iPad. I got the look i wanted for the most part. But it did not enroll itself, it was not supervised either. so it did not pull anything down from the server.

Not sure if i am making sense. Little confused and frustrated. If i try to prepare it and supervise the iPad it wipes itself and i have to start from scratch.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

4 REPLIES 4

belldesean
New Contributor III

Are you taking advantage of using seperate PreStage enrollments? If not, I definitely encourage it! I use a different PreStage enrollment for each school, each department and for each group of iPads in my school district. (See pictures) By doing it this way I have cut the restore/setup time in more than half. Every time a device has to be wiped and restored, for example, at the end of the school year, I never have to reapply the Name, Site, Building, Department or anything, for each iPad. I use Apple Configurator 2 to restore the iPads and then use an Automated Enrollment Blueprint. By having devices in their designated PreStage Enrollment group, after the blueprint has been applied the iPads automatically know the details of their assignment--smart groups, apps, profiles, device site and name and its configuration restrictions. [https://youtu.be/8S1hJ0GsZ2E ](link URL)dc996486c1064fa58286bf06c70d09fa

belldesean
New Contributor III

[https://youtu.be/O95fpTtvsMk](link URL)

aauriemma
New Contributor

we have a few prestage enrollment but it just broken down between Labs and Fac/staff. that is an interesting thought though. I did create a static group for pulling down certain apps and webclips.

i may Just be over thinking this and need to change my approach. worth a shot for sure.

Thanks!

belldesean
New Contributor III

Yes, reach out to your JAMF buddy and they can definitely assist you with this. Having separate PreStage enrollments for all of my devices not only saves time and applies the assignment details but I only have to touch the iPad ONE time after it has been restored and blueprinted. I have to touch it to enable Location services and that is it! I used to have to reapply the site, the name, etc. Not anymore!