10.6.8 Funkyness?

Matt
Valued Contributor

Is anyone else noticing anything funky happening since 10.6.8 was installed?

--
Matt Lee, CCA/ACMT/ACPT/ACDT
Senior IT Analyst / Desktop Architecture Team / Apple S.M.E / JAMF Casper Administrator
Fox Networks Group

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Matt
Valued Contributor

Basically, what I had to do was the following:

Uncheck Allow Authentication from any domain in forest
In Search Policies, removed All Domains and added my domain

As soon as I did this it worked like a champ. Problem is you can't customize this using the JAMF AD Binder so I am writing a script.

--
Senior IT Analyst / Desktop Architecture Team / Apple S.M.E / JAMF Casper Administrator
Fox Networks Group

View solution in original post

tanderson
Contributor

Apple has just released Mac OS X 10.6.8 Supplemental Update:

The Mac OS X 10.6.8 Supplemental Update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and resolves issues with:

• Transferring personal data, settings, and compatible applications from a Mac running Mac OS X Snow Leopard to a new Mac running Mac OS X Lion • Certain network printers that pause print jobs immediately and fail to complete • System audio that stops working when using HDMI or optical audio out

SHA1 -ebe26444b06d50fe94d69191f7dee49aaa8689ce

For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4561.

For information on the security content of this update, please visit: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222.

Tom

Matt
Valued Contributor

I knew I wasn't crazy!
--
Fox Networks Group

34 REPLIES 34

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Nope, only "widespread" issues I'm aware of are the printer issues, and the hwmond issues on Xserve. Otherwise, it's fine in the couple of places I help manage...

ToriAnneke
Contributor II

Happy Monday!!!

10.6.8 feels like 7.6.1

:P

--
Pat Camporeale
"You don't need to be a mechanic to drive a car."

Matt
Valued Contributor

Ever since 10.6.8 we have machines that lose AD binding after reboot. It says Network Not Available but when you login it shows the connection as green. You unbind rebind it works until you reboot.

--
Fox Networks Group

jafuller
Contributor

Similar here. Only have it on a couple of machines. It seems intermittent though. Perhaps we don't reboot often.
--
James Fuller | Starbucks Coffee Company | Technology Application Services | application developer II
E: jafuller at starbucks.com<mailto:jafuller at starbucks.com> | V: 206.318.7153 | F: 206.318.0155

Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.

Matt
Valued Contributor

We shutdown all systems at night. This start with 10.6.8 and I can't find any relief for this.
--
Fox Networks Group

nessts
Valued Contributor II

have you tried setting the pass interval as discussed last week?

--
Todd Ness
Technology Consultant/Non-Windows Services
Americas Regional Delivery Engineering
HP Enterprise Services

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

Can't say we have that here, most all of our systems have it installed
already, but I am unaware of any binding issues.

John Wojda

Lead System Engineer, DEI & Mobility

3333 Beverly Rd. B2-338B

Hoffman Estates, IL 60179

Phone: (847)286-7855

Page: (224)532.3447

Team Lead DEI: Matt Beiriger
<mailto:mbeirig at searshc.com;jwojda at searshc.com?subject=John%20Wojda%20Fe
edback&body=I%20am%20contacting%20you%20regarding%20John%20Wojda.>

Team Lead Mobility: Chris
<mailto:cstaana at searshc.com;jwojda at searshc.com?subject=John%20Wojda%20Fe
edback&body=I%20am%20contacting%20you%20regarding%20John%20Wojda.> Sta
Ana

Mac Tip/Tricks/Self Service & Support
<http://bit.ly/gMa7TB>

"Any time you choose to be inflexible in your approach to an
unpredictable project you are already building failure into your plan"

Matt
Valued Contributor

I have unfortunately this machine is freshly imaged.
--
Fox Networks Group

Not applicable

I've seen a few machines have AD login trouble if they were bound after
10.6.8 was installed / applied during imaging.

No trouble with any machines that were bound and *then* upgraded to 10.6.8.

-p

Matt
Valued Contributor

Exactly! I think you are on to something.

--
Fox Networks Group

talkingmoose

Rarely, but it has happened, I'll get a call from a user who can't log in to AD on one machine but is fine elsewhere. The machine seems to create a local user account with the same name as the AD account. Most of the time the machine has crashed while the user is logged in.

You'll notice something is wrong when you log in as a different user but still see the first user's AD account appear in the Accounts System Preferences pane. Deleting this ghost account resolves the problem.

--

William Smith
Technical Analyst
Merrill Communications LLC
(651) 632-1492

Matt
Valued Contributor

We use Mobile Accounts too
--
Fox Networks Group

Not applicable

I've been watching this thread with interest as I am currently updating the core OS of our images to 10.6.8. It's interesting that you mention that the local user account showing in the prefs pane. On my setup, all accounts are mobile accounts (Create mobile account at login in the AD plugin). I always see every user who logs in under the accounts prefs.

One similar login issue I did see with 10.6.8 was a user was *not* visible in System Prefs even though they had logged in many times. I went in via dscl and Deleted the user from /Local/Default/Users, which resolved the issue and I didn't pursue it further.

I have been creating the caper dmg from the latest thunderbolt Macbook media and applying the 10.6.8 Combo uptate to that (offline) volume. I end up with a non-booted dmg that I run through Casper NetInstall Creator 3.2. That forms the core. After that everything is all packages and OS updates which get applied at or after imaging. Most existing machines are still at 10.6.6. Hopefully there isn't some obscure issue with the update.

- Aaron

Walter
New Contributor II

I seem to remember in the 10.6.8 release notes that there were changes "in preparation for Lion". In the developer forums, there are reports of issues with Lion and AD. I wonder if some of the "preparation for Lion" mucked up AD in Snow Leopard.
--
Walter Rowe, System Hosting
Enterprise Systems / OISM
walter.rowe at nist.gov<mailto:walter.rowe at nist.gov>
301-975-2885

Matt
Valued Contributor

Whatever it is, Mac are losing bindings more and more everyday and my GM of Lion still won't connect to AD.

--
Fox Networks Group

Matt
Valued Contributor

The issue is getting serious now. Machines are dropping AD like flies. None of the tips given in these threads are helping. 10.6.8 broke something. We unbind and rebind and it works until you reboot. Not good!

--
Fox Networks Group

Matt
Valued Contributor

Let me add that the mobile home folders are disappearing. 10.6.8 seems to be broken.

--
Fox Networks Group

talkingmoose

Anything interesting in your DirectoryServiceError.log or
On 7/19/11 2:53 PM, "Matthew Lee" <Matt.Lee at fox.com> wrote:
DirectoryServiceServer.log? These should be available in the Console.

I've got quite a few folks on 10.6.8 who are bound to AD. Pretty much all
of them were bound at 10.6.8 and not updated to 10.6.8 while bound. Not
sure if we're running Windows 2008 or R2.

--

William Smith
Technical Analyst
Merrill Communications LLC
(651) 632-1492

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Hi Matt,

When you rebind, do the macs find their existing computer object?

Do you move these objects outside of computers?

Are you see Kerberos preauthentication errors in the logs?

Try unbinding, deleting computer account from ad... Wait for ad to replicate or force. Then rejoin leaving the computer object in the computers OU.

Regards,

Ben.

Matt
Valued Contributor

Awww don't make me contact our account admins!!! I have no AD access unfortunately. The objects are current objects, not moved, no Kerberos errors.

Looks like the same issue we have with Lion. Computer gives me a green light and then shakes its head at me.

--
Fox Networks Group

bentoms

Well you can wait for replication (maybe 30 mins).

Regards,

Ben.

hasaanh
New Contributor III

I’m curious if there’s a correlation with the issues your seeing and the following article, the article symptoms read “If network access is interrupted, a Mac OS X v10.6 client may not be able to reconnect to an Active Directory domain”:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3248

--
Hasaan Herrington
Technical Support II
Information Technology
Anchorage School District
1602 Hillcrest Drive, Anchorage, Alaska, 99517.
Help Desk: (907) 742-4615

Matt
Valued Contributor

Perhaps but Im thinking this is the same issue people are having with Lion.

Has anyone found a way to bind Lion to AD?

--
Fox Networks Group

bentoms

The normal way works for me.

Regards,

Ben.

Matt
Valued Contributor

Damn, I can't get it to do anything. It green lights me in the OS and redlights me at the Loginwindow.

Do you by any chance have reverse DNS set up properly in your environment?

--
Fox Networks Group

bentoms

Yes. (for the most part).

Domain is also not .local

Domain resolves to ip's of 20 dc's. All of which will then resolve to fqdn's. (There are a couple of orphan records though).

Set preferred dc as local with fqdn of server. Unticked all domains. No OD.

Regards,

Ben.

nessts
Valued Contributor II

works for me in one domain/customer, and not another. so it is very likely a configuration difference between the two domains.

--
Todd Ness
Technology Consultant/Non-Windows Services
Americas Regional Delivery Engineering
HP Enterprise Services

Matt
Valued Contributor

We don't manage AD or anything like that but our reverse DNS is not setup. What happened is they just figured Macs work the same :rolleyes:

--
Fox Networks Group

Matt
Valued Contributor

's password:
[2011/07/20 09:08:34, 0, pid=3333] /SourceCache/samba/samba-235.7/samba/source/libads/kerberos.c:ads_kinit_password(228) kerberos_kinit_password @FFE.FOXEG.COM failed: Client not found in Kerberos database

Thats the error message I got when I ran net ads dns register.

--
Fox Networks Group

Matt
Valued Contributor

I found the solution I think!!!
--
Fox Networks Group

Walter
New Contributor II

Can you share?
--
Walter Rowe, Team Lead
System Hosting Services
walter.rowe at nist.gov<mailto:walter.rowe at nist.gov>
301.975-2885

Matt
Valued Contributor

Basically, what I had to do was the following:

Uncheck Allow Authentication from any domain in forest
In Search Policies, removed All Domains and added my domain

As soon as I did this it worked like a champ. Problem is you can't customize this using the JAMF AD Binder so I am writing a script.

--
Fox Networks Group

tanderson
Contributor

Apple has just released Mac OS X 10.6.8 Supplemental Update:

The Mac OS X 10.6.8 Supplemental Update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and resolves issues with:

• Transferring personal data, settings, and compatible applications from a Mac running Mac OS X Snow Leopard to a new Mac running Mac OS X Lion • Certain network printers that pause print jobs immediately and fail to complete • System audio that stops working when using HDMI or optical audio out

SHA1 -ebe26444b06d50fe94d69191f7dee49aaa8689ce

For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4561.

For information on the security content of this update, please visit: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222.

Tom

Matt
Valued Contributor

I knew I wasn't crazy!
--
Fox Networks Group