Regular Updates on Feature Requests...

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hello Everyone,

While technically, this maybe a feature request, I would prefer to get the discussion started before this year's JNUC.

Today I was looking up a feature request for seeing where policies, scripts and more are used throughout the JSS. What I found was both shocking and maddening.

There was a feature request dating back to 2011...in addition, there were 16 duplicates. The maddening part was the "Under Review" piece. What the heck! Under review from when? 7 years ago!? That is really unacceptable.

I appreciate the term under review, but we as a community need more information such as WHEN the under review was labeled. Perhaps make it such that the actual title under review has a deadline to drop off so we can up vote or re-register the feature request.

If something is under review, this could mean the FR may happen more than a year out. Planned means the FR will be implemented within a year. I would also make it clear when the "label" was applied by Jamf.

Needless to say, we are all diligent about making these requests and even coming up with in depth descriptions. Please provide more detail and regular detail so we all know where things stand.

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2

dmw3
Contributor III

@mconners I agree, as one with several Feature Requests in the system some from multi-years ago, it would be good to have some updates on progress even if Jamf decides that the request are not feasible at present.

I have one that even Jamf Support have noted that it is needed, but has been under review now for a couple of years.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

The timing of your post is interesting. Just today I responded to a survey from Jamf that I received via email. It was mostly about the Feature Requests section of JamfNation, and asked a lot of pointed questions about what changes might be useful to see.
Your points above are almost exactly what I noted in my responses to the survey questions. Jamf really needs to rework the labels and do better about time stamping the changes in status, so we can have a better understanding of where something stands. It's crazy that some of the requests have been sitting in under review status for years. I'm pretty sure at this point, some of these "under review" requests are no longer even being looked at internally, so the label becomes wildly inaccurate and misleading.

But as much as all the above, if a request has been heavily voted on by the community, and is clearly needed in the product, and all can agree it would be a huge win to have, I agree it's unacceptable to leave it in limbo for years with no movement on it. We can all appreciate that Apple keeps companies like Jamf on their toes with their ever changing product line and new yearly OS releases, but still, if you can't get to working on something that is deemed important and worthwhile in 4-5 years, then there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

The good news is the survey I received clearly indicates that Jamf is trying to figure this out, so there's a little hope on the horizon. In the interim, I hope they at least consider changing up some of the labels so we don't get lead on to believe something's being worked on, when clearly it's not.