Jamf 400 - Tips and Tricks ?

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

In the second week of october i am going to attend Jamf 400 in Amsterdam, just curious if there are any tips n tricks i can already practice on :)

Cheers,
Thijs Xhaflaire!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cwaldrip
Valued Contributor

I took the 400 in NY back in November '17 I think. It was one of the first 400 classes (the course developer and a friend/co-worker of his were working on the material in the back of the class).

You should be (nearly) an expert in shell scripting and experience working on Macs from the command line. I can hold my own pretty well if you give me the time to research the issue, search for examples, test, and use shellcheck.net. But if you don't have a good functional knowledge of the command line, and shell scripting (if/then/else, variables, identify current logged in user, know where certain types of files exist in macOS, etc) then work on that (a lot) before you take the class.

I was expecting the course to cover more in-depth Jamf system knowledge. When X happens, Y and Z are being done in the system. Almost like you'd be an entry level Jamf developer. My expectations were my biggest problems in the class.

What I got out of it was a good day of experience on working with the APIs (best part of the course in my opinion), and a lot of script writing and workflow troubleshooting. I don't think I've had any issues as complicated as those presented in the class that were also under as much of a time crunch (for obvious reasons - you're only there for a few days).

There was some scripting to interact with a MySQL database to get information, there was a good review of standing up a Jamf system on a *nix box and through the command line (review for 350 participants and done because you obviously need a Jamf system for the rest of the week to work with), and did I mention a lot of shell scripting. Brush up on your AppleScript. It's covered a bit, and if its a good solution for a problem they were glad to accept it. But if you don't know anything about AppleScript you're not doomed, just at a bit of a disadvantage. I know I'm missing more.

Just remember, you're taking a class to have Jamf (the company) certify you as an system management Administrator using their product as the touchstone. It is not a certification as an "Advanced Jamf Administrator". See the course description "...Jamf Pro-centric approach of managing Apple devices through an accelerated, hands-on, and challenge-based training."

My mistake was I was expecting more Jamf-specific deep dive, and that's not what it is. It was a really good course if you're looking for an additional certification, but if you're mostly a day-to-day Jamf administrator and you're doing well, then this won't add too much to your toolbox (except the API, I still reference my notes about that!).

For people in my department or even my organization, I wouldn't even hesitate to say this is not a required course for supporting and managing a Jamf system and workflow. It's a bonus, for sure! But not a requirement. I've suggested most all of my coworkers can easily stop with the 350 class and not be missing out on much (even the API stuff can be researched online and here in jamfnation).

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@txhaflaire Don't re-invent the wheel when doing the challenges. If you can build your solution on something that's been posted to Jamf Nation or GitHub use it. Some of the challenges are complex enough that I don't think you could complete them from scratch during the time allotted from a cold start.

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@sdagley Ok Cool, great tip!

exno
Contributor

I haven't taken the 400 yet, I was one of the last CCE courses before the big change. My suggestions are based on what the CCE was and what the 400 sounds like:

• If not already, get comfortable with bash scripting. It will help with most scenarios they will throw at you, plus can help to figure out what methods would work best from the "Don't re-invent the wheel" suggestion
  • Look at the API. it will help for a few scenarios. they did cover it some in the CCE and for the most part it was GET calls for device info, and PUT/POST calls for something simple.
  • Look at CJA/350 requirements. It isn't a Prerequisite but some knowledge of server set up and security can be useful..

Beyond that just remember: Breath, Relax, You got this.

- I am @exno or @exnozero on almost everything that exists.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

I'll add enjoy yourself to @exno's Relax suggestion. Of the previous generation classes, I found the CCE was the most fun because of the challenges, and I expect the same holds true for the 400. In addition to presenting the solutions to the challenges you end up getting, seeing the solutions your classmates come up with is also very informative. More than likely you'll finish the class wanting to implement something that was presented in your own environment.

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@exno @sdagley Great! Yea the CCT/300 classes was very relaxed, cold beer on friday.

cwaldrip
Valued Contributor

I took the 400 in NY back in November '17 I think. It was one of the first 400 classes (the course developer and a friend/co-worker of his were working on the material in the back of the class).

You should be (nearly) an expert in shell scripting and experience working on Macs from the command line. I can hold my own pretty well if you give me the time to research the issue, search for examples, test, and use shellcheck.net. But if you don't have a good functional knowledge of the command line, and shell scripting (if/then/else, variables, identify current logged in user, know where certain types of files exist in macOS, etc) then work on that (a lot) before you take the class.

I was expecting the course to cover more in-depth Jamf system knowledge. When X happens, Y and Z are being done in the system. Almost like you'd be an entry level Jamf developer. My expectations were my biggest problems in the class.

What I got out of it was a good day of experience on working with the APIs (best part of the course in my opinion), and a lot of script writing and workflow troubleshooting. I don't think I've had any issues as complicated as those presented in the class that were also under as much of a time crunch (for obvious reasons - you're only there for a few days).

There was some scripting to interact with a MySQL database to get information, there was a good review of standing up a Jamf system on a *nix box and through the command line (review for 350 participants and done because you obviously need a Jamf system for the rest of the week to work with), and did I mention a lot of shell scripting. Brush up on your AppleScript. It's covered a bit, and if its a good solution for a problem they were glad to accept it. But if you don't know anything about AppleScript you're not doomed, just at a bit of a disadvantage. I know I'm missing more.

Just remember, you're taking a class to have Jamf (the company) certify you as an system management Administrator using their product as the touchstone. It is not a certification as an "Advanced Jamf Administrator". See the course description "...Jamf Pro-centric approach of managing Apple devices through an accelerated, hands-on, and challenge-based training."

My mistake was I was expecting more Jamf-specific deep dive, and that's not what it is. It was a really good course if you're looking for an additional certification, but if you're mostly a day-to-day Jamf administrator and you're doing well, then this won't add too much to your toolbox (except the API, I still reference my notes about that!).

For people in my department or even my organization, I wouldn't even hesitate to say this is not a required course for supporting and managing a Jamf system and workflow. It's a bonus, for sure! But not a requirement. I've suggested most all of my coworkers can easily stop with the 350 class and not be missing out on much (even the API stuff can be researched online and here in jamfnation).

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@cwaldrip Thanks for the great response :) received my results today and passed the 400. Cheers for posting in my discussions here

hhorn
New Contributor III

The 400 course is pretty awesome, but completely stressful. The practical really tests you knowledge, but the challenges are way over the top. For most of them you will only be able to finish them if you have access to resources that the normal person doesn’t have... JAMF please make the challenges real knowledge based... test the real knowledge of a candidate and not knowledge you can only acquire if you have the correct resources.

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

franton
Valued Contributor III

I just finished the 400 today and I'm frankly exhausted. My overall impression is that unless you've done something similar before, the lessons only prepare you so much. A lot of the challenges will take 90 minutes if you're having to start from scratch, and if you go the wrong way you're done.

The instructors advise you plan out your attack before you start. This is invaluable.

I also had my laptop next to the Jamf one, with all the code I've ever written available to me. Copy + Paste programming came in handy more than once.

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@franton Yeah it was exhausting, I hope you have achieved good results!

franton
Valued Contributor III

I've literally just been emailed that I passed.

Big thanks to @peter.argyle for putting up with me again. Now I am expert. Apparently :D