Using VPP for Safari 12 Extension installs?

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Looking for a way to use VPP to push Safari extensions since all extensions now go through the app store.

Anyone figured this out yet?

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools
6 REPLIES 6

daniel_ross
Contributor III

Did you ever figure out a solution to this @gshackney ?

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

@daniel_ross Looks like you can add the link to the extension in the VPP store now and use the JSS to assign it to computers. I'm going to test this today to see if it prompts people or not. Really only affects Safari 12 and later.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

gmorgan
New Contributor III

I am interested in this also. I have been attempting to install an extension called "Classlink". I got as far as deploying it through the MASA tab in JAMF, and it does install. The problem now being it doesn't check the box next to the extension in Safari/Preferences/Extensions so it can be used or even recognized as present. Anyone know how to get this checked?

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

@gmorgan Yup, that's as far as I got as well. If you figure that part out please let me know. Im sure you could AppleScript it, but I wouldnt know where to begin in that process with the newer Safari.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

gmorgan
New Contributor III

So, I haven't gotten really anywhere, but I wanted to update you on my progress. Maybe my attempts might spark something in another brain? As previously, the app is installed and we just need to "check the box" to enable it. I have created a PPPC config to give Terminal access for the next part (due to Mojave's security issues). I am attempting this script:
8d77b44cf440425fa85709bc86dcc868

...as a policy. It runs the script via the policy but returns an error: "script result: missing value"

To be fair, I absolutely stole that script and modified it because I am terrible at scripting. Any scripting gurus wanna take a shot at it??

gmorgan
New Contributor III

So, it turns out based on Apple's SIP, that you can only push out the app/extension, but not enable it. Enabling is a manual process. It says as much on their extension page of the App Store:

718c560030fc4f93b52ded7fc21ffaf9

Even as the owner of the plist file, you don't have anything more than read access to it. They really have these user preferences locked down.