Class Room + Shared iPads

axto
New Contributor

Hello, I have a problem with shared iPads and the Classroom App.

I have created a class with 30 shared iPads and registered myself as a teacher. JAMF transfers the settings correctly to my Classroom app and I see all selected shared iPads there.
However, these are always displayed as offline.
All devices have Bluetooth enabled and they are on the same Wi-Fi network.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

7 REPLIES 7

bfrench
Contributor III

Have the devices received the EDU profile?

axto
New Contributor

What do you mean?

AntD
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Are you seeing ‘users’ in the classroom app rather than devices?

In a shared iPad (by this I mean Apples ‘shared’ iPad - log in with MIDs etc) as well as creating the classes and populating with user data you also have to select the devices that these users can log in to to be seen within your class.

Without this, in the classroom app you will see all the ‘users’ within your class but they won’t be online because as far as your iPad is aware the user isn’t logged into a ‘valid’ device

bfrench
Contributor III

Are your iPads shared amongst users? or set up a Apple Shared iPads where users log into the iPad?

sukhan
New Contributor

Make sure in your wifi network port 3283 and 3284 TCP/UDP port is open.

axto
New Contributor

@bfrench: The iPads are configured as Shared iPads with 10 Users.

bfrench
Contributor III

As mentioned by @antdarlow you must also assign devices to Shared iPads. The class set up should have students, a teacher, and a device group.4fcbb8cfea364ee180817c96550f3c42

Details in the support document http://docs.jamf.com/technical-papers/casper-suite/apple-classroom/9.9/Support_Shared_iPad_for_Apple's_Classroom_App.html