Skip to main content
Jamf Nation, hosted by Jamf, is a knowledgeable community of Apple-focused admins and Jamf users. Join us in person at the ninth annual Jamf Nation User Conference (JNUC) this November for three days of learning, laughter and IT love.

Maple 2018.2

Does anyone have a recommended workflow for repackaging Maple 2018, using Composer or similar? Preferably for a networked license server.

Like Comment
Order by:
SOLVED Posted: by mark.mahabir

I had this requirement recently so reached out to Maplesoft support. This was their response:

In order to repackage Maple 2018 for mass distribution on MacOS I would recommend you to run a silent installation of Maple. For that you can follow these steps: Create a text file called installer.properties (the extension is .properties), then save it in the same folder as the Maple installer. (Any file name is allowed, in fact.) For example:
mode=unattended
desktopshortcut=1
configureMATLAB=0
matlabpath=
licenseType=network
serverName=myServerName
portNumber=27000
enableUpdates=1
checkForUpdatesNow=1
For further information, please see the "Silent (Unattended) Installation" section of the "Maple 2018 Installation and Licensing Guide": https://www.maplesoft.com/support/install/maple2018_install.html Open a Terminal Window, then navigate to the location of the Maple installer file. Mount the installer image, and navigate to the installer file:
cd /Volumes/Maple2018MacInstaller/Maple2018MacInstaller.app/Contents/MacOS
Then, execute the installer while specifying the full name for the options file (including extension). For example:
installbuilder.sh ––optionfile installer.properties

So based on this advice, I captured a snapshot in Composer of both the Maple2018MacInstaller.app and the installer.properties file in /Users/Shared and put the following line into the Files & Processes > Execute Command section of the policy:

/Users/Shared/Maple2018.1MacInstaller.app/Contents/MacOS/installbuilder.sh --optionfile /Users/Shared/installer.properties; rm -Rf /Users/Shared/Maple*; rm -Rf /Users/Shared/installer.properties

This seems to work well, but if anyone has a more efficient way of doing this then please shout up!

SOLVED Posted: by jkaigler

It's been a few months since I packaged it, but I am pretty sure I just used composer.

SOLVED Posted: by mark.mahabir

@jkaigler Interesting. The last time I tried to repackage it in Composer it crashed on the machines I'd distributed it to....

However, it went a lot better this time. Install the program on a test machine or VM then capture both the directories:

/Applications/Maple 2018
/Library/Frameworks/Maple.framework

...with a Composer snapshot and all should be well. The important file for your licencing is:

/Library/Frameworks/Maple.framework/Versions/2018/license/license.dat

I also noted that the uninstaller app included as part of the distribution doesn't always get rid of all the relevant files; it leaves /Users/abc1/Library/Preferences/Maple present, for example.

That looks right, I'll convert mine back to back to source and check it out.

In addition to the /Applications/Maple 2018 and /Library/Frameworks/Maple.framework, I also captured /Library/Fonts . Not sure if it was needed but I have had no complaints ...yet.

Jamf wants to hear your feedback around Peripherals and Jamf Connect settings configuration