Create a Smart Group for Touchbar Macs?

elliott_price
New Contributor

I've looked around, but seem to be at a loss; Does anyone here know a way to create a Smart Group that will capture all Touchbar Macs, and/or Macs with Touch ID? There is a "Touch ID" criteria in the latest version of JAMF, but I'm not sure what values it accepts. I've tried some different values but with no luck.

At the moment, we have a group that looks at the specific model identifier, but we don't want to have to update that with every new Touchbar model that comes out.

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4

Ryan_
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

@elliott.price I'm not seeing any "Touch ID" criteria for smart computer groups. The only option that I can think of is what you're already doing by basing the membership criteria off of model identifier. It sounds like what we're looking for is an option to have a model identifier is equal to or greater than 'example' and that's not possible at this time.

Maybe different criteria could be used depending on what this smart group is for. What is the purpose of this smart group?

mac_mielke
New Contributor II

Use an extension attribute to look for /System/Library/PreferencePanes/TouchID.prefPane and/or ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.controlstrip.plist or any other touch id/bar files on the Mac.

If it has neither, return 0. Has TouchID, return 1. Has both, return 2.

Makes for easy reporting, keeps it in a single extension attribute, and keeps database bloat to a minimum.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

brayg
New Contributor III

Extension attributes would be the best option as it stands. I've created a Feature Request that you can upvote to hopefully get this new criteria added to JAMF's roadmap:

Touch Bar Criteria