Flash Player Background install freezes

seraphina
Contributor II

So I have been trying to update Flash on our lab machines through a policy and an installer package with a postinstall script, because I want it to perform silently without needing user interaction.

I have tried it through patch management with and without the postinstall script, but either way when logging into the machine the flash player updater icon pops up in the dock and then hangs. You can't logout of the machine unless you force close it too.

I have also tried it with PPAPI and NPAPI flash separately because I thought that might have been the problem.

I am new to JAMF and macOS but I have been using Linux based operating systems for almost 9 years, so I like to think I have a decent understanding of how these systems work

I know my script is probably bad, but here it is.

Take the adobe flash installers and make a flat package -> extract the 2 flash player installer's to /tmp -> postinstall

Would this work better if I left them as a DMG? Does Patch Management even work with a DMG?

#!/bin/bash
##postinstall

cd /tmp/Flash.app/Contents/MacOS
./Adobe Flash Player Install Manager -install  & #silent install
wait $PID #Is this why it hangs? Also, If I force close the installer at this point, it proceeds to the next package.
cd /tmp/Pepper_Flash.app/contents/MacOS
./Adobe Flash Player Install Manager -install &
wait $PID #this will always succeed, while the first one fails
rm -fr /tmp/Flash.app
rm -fr /tmp/Pepper_Flash.app

Lastly, how does a "Recurring Checkin" policy work when the computer is not logged in? Is that perhaps why the installer hangs, or does it halt the policy execution until a user logs in?

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

dba_nc
New Contributor III

Extract the pkg from the dmg and then push the pkg via policy, it performs silently in my environment...mount dmg, control-click on "Install Adobe Flash Player.app" and choose Show Package Contents. The pkg is in /Contents/Resources/Adobe Flash Player.pkg.

Might want to give the package a more detailed name, and then apply root/wheel 755 permissions before uploading.

Recurring check-in should work if the machine is logged out, as long as it did not enter sleep mode.

View solution in original post

rqomsiya
Contributor III

Hi @mkotara,

Easiest way is to apply to Adobe's free Flash Player Distribution site:

Adobe Flash Player distribution link

Here you will get access to the NPAPI and PAPPI versions of Flash player that are ready for distribution. Once you get access (usually get a confirmation email within 20 min), all you need to do is download the .DMG's that are created for system admins.

When you open the DMG's you'll see a .PKG installer. Copy that .PKG to your JSS Distrobution point and push. Simple as that....

8a2b641d27c34a90921f332124ccaa2e

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

dba_nc
New Contributor III

Extract the pkg from the dmg and then push the pkg via policy, it performs silently in my environment...mount dmg, control-click on "Install Adobe Flash Player.app" and choose Show Package Contents. The pkg is in /Contents/Resources/Adobe Flash Player.pkg.

Might want to give the package a more detailed name, and then apply root/wheel 755 permissions before uploading.

Recurring check-in should work if the machine is logged out, as long as it did not enter sleep mode.

rqomsiya
Contributor III

Hi @mkotara,

Easiest way is to apply to Adobe's free Flash Player Distribution site:

Adobe Flash Player distribution link

Here you will get access to the NPAPI and PAPPI versions of Flash player that are ready for distribution. Once you get access (usually get a confirmation email within 20 min), all you need to do is download the .DMG's that are created for system admins.

When you open the DMG's you'll see a .PKG installer. Copy that .PKG to your JSS Distrobution point and push. Simple as that....

8a2b641d27c34a90921f332124ccaa2e