Block Migration Assistant

jalbert
Contributor

We are just rolling out new computers to our staff, the currently have MBPs with local accounts, on the new computers, we are adding them to the AD domain to ease with logins and password across our district.

If we let them use Migration Assistant, they will create new users on the computer with their settings and files and not use the new account that we are trying to get them to use.

We will assist them in moving their files, bookmarks,images and music over, but don't want them to use Migration Assistant.

I have tried to rename / remove the app, I tried to restrict the app, nothing works.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @jcalvert

See attached screenshot, via Restricted Software we have restricted the Migration Assistent.

c71b97ea26ab46fa80f7d355d304be59

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

rickgmac
Contributor

Use NoMAD login and NoMAD to continue to allow local accounts. As it is a far better experience than trying to use AD mobile accounts.

If not you could just disable "Transfer Information." in your pre-stage profile if you're using DEP deployment.

or Possibly try restricted software

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @jcalvert

See attached screenshot, via Restricted Software we have restricted the Migration Assistent.

c71b97ea26ab46fa80f7d355d304be59

remyb
Contributor

@txhaflaire Our setup is like this:
c603bfb6bfc341959f87a635a6ba987f

Yours is most likely not working because you have "Restrict exact process name" checked, the process is named "Migration Assistant.app".
If you add the .app, or remove the checkbox it will most likely work!

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@remyb We have no issues with our Restriction :) all is working fine, just posted it for @jcalvert

remyb
Contributor

Arrgh, I need more coffee, sorry :-)

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@remyb Haha no worries, thanks for helping out in this discussion!

jalbert
Contributor

Thank you everybody for your responses, very much appreciated.

rorlando
New Contributor

I have disabled "Transfer Information" AND restricted Migration Assistant

BUT it is still showing up as an option and allowing end users to do this.

????