Skip to main content
Jamf Nation, hosted by Jamf, is the largest Apple IT management community in the world. Dialog with your fellow IT professionals, gain insight about Apple device deployments, share best practices and bounce ideas off each other. Join the conversation.

Block Migration Assistant

We are just rolling out new computers to our staff, the currently have MBPs with local accounts, on the new computers, we are adding them to the AD domain to ease with logins and password across our district.

If we let them use Migration Assistant, they will create new users on the computer with their settings and files and not use the new account that we are trying to get them to use.

We will assist them in moving their files, bookmarks,images and music over, but don't want them to use Migration Assistant.

I have tried to rename / remove the app, I tried to restrict the app, nothing works.

Any ideas?

Like Comment
Order by:
SOLVED Posted: by rickgmac

Use NoMAD login and NoMAD to continue to allow local accounts. As it is a far better experience than trying to use AD mobile accounts.

If not you could just disable "Transfer Information." in your pre-stage profile if you're using DEP deployment.

or Possibly try restricted software

SOLVED Posted: by txhaflaire

Hi @jcalvert

See attached screenshot, via Restricted Software we have restricted the Migration Assistent.

SOLVED Posted: by remyb

@txhaflaire Our setup is like this:

Yours is most likely not working because you have "Restrict exact process name" checked, the process is named "Migration Assistant.app".
If you add the .app, or remove the checkbox it will most likely work!

@remyb We have no issues with our Restriction :) all is working fine, just posted it for @jcalvert

SOLVED Posted: by remyb

Arrgh, I need more coffee, sorry :-)

@remyb Haha no worries, thanks for helping out in this discussion!

SOLVED Posted: by jcalvert

Thank you everybody for your responses, very much appreciated.

Jamf wants to hear your feedback around Jamf Pro: LDAP Servers and Reports!