Help Effectively Implementing Sites?

BC2016
New Contributor

Hi folks,

We've been trying to clean-up our Jamf Server in recent months and one of the ways we've been doing so is with the addition of Sites and Buildings. We're a multi-site company looking to create policies based on location, and while we have some of these in place right now, we're struggling with the Sites portion. Here's a rundown of what we have and what we're looking to do:

A number of buildings set with the name of our different locations.
A network segment setup for each location putting a computer in a building based on the IP.
A smart group that is saying if Building = name of building, place it in [Building Name] Computers.
Policies scoped to specific smart groups (e.g. NYC Computers) for things like printers that won't hit our other offices.

Now while also of this is working fine, what we can't seem to get to implement effectively are Sites. We'd really like to add our Buildings to Sites (with the same name) but when I go to do that from our smart group (which gives you the ability to add it to a Site), magically the computers being picked up for that Site nearly cuts in half. Additionally, for our other smart groups, we can have 40 or so computers showing for that location, but once we had it to the Site with the same name, it becomes 0. Does anyone know what may be causing this?

In case this matters, I should mention that all of our Sites were created from our Buildings (as in the import feature that's only available when no Sites exist).

Any and all help would be great.

4 REPLIES 4

Tangentism
Contributor II
magically the computers being picked up for that Site nearly cuts in half.

Are you viewing the full JSS and not that specific site?

BC2016
New Contributor

Yes, I'm looking under "Full Jamf Pro" which is our global/sysadmin view.

Here's a before and after of our Boston Computers smart group once it's added to our Boston Site. 9dd2e98104fe43fe8c5d4d0093b2be1f
5586161fdabb40beb0509b5dd581f162

Tangentism
Contributor II

Had to ask as its one of those things that can catch you out!

Whats the scoping in the smart group to capture the building? (If you dont mind showing but obviously obfuscate what you need to)

BC2016
New Contributor

Happy to provide you with that. Here was my intended setup and what I believe/want to be happening:

Our network segments are deciding what building to place the computer into, which is then used to match to the smart group. Our network segment covers our internal network for this particular building, so the drop off doesn't really make to me. See the screenshots below.

6cc51131f0184ac1849776d4d97228a7
26e68079393f43699be1f66121e4ace1