Apple Configurator and Automator for wipe and setup no longer working

jriker1
New Contributor II

I have been using Apple Configurator 2 and Automator for a while now to automate wiping and re-enrolling my devices. These are MDM managed devices that when the user is done with them, connects them to the lightning cable on the Mac Mini and it wipes the devices, attaches it back to Wi-Fi and then the device re provisions itself in the MDM using DEP once on the Wi-Fi. https://configautomation.com/

I haven't used the tools in a few months and the machine has been sitting idle. Yesterday I tried to use it again and it keeps erroring:

The action "Erase Devices" encountered an error "cfgutil: error Pairing is pro"Domain: com.apple.configurator.MobileDeviceKit.amd.error Code: -402653030)

Going to assume the rest of pro is prohibited. Technically this may be true because my devices are MDM managed but it worked up until recently. Oddly I tried this on old iOS 10.3.2 and 11.2 devices and wouldn't work on even older versions of iOS. Any thoughts?

Also open to any guides that may have done something similar. Essentially for a hospital:

1. Patient handed device, they use it for a while.
  2. Nurse plugs the device into the Mac Mini, it gets wiped.
  3. Device is put on the Wi-Fi automatically and DEP pushes it to the MDM and it sets up again.

We've looked at commercial solutions but not easy to get approved.

Thanks.

JR

2 REPLIES 2

Steven5342
New Contributor III

Automator Link

This site should have all you need. It walks you through step-by-step getting all this configured. Also, you may need to release the devices in you Apple Business/DEP account before they can be wiped. Make sure that the devices are allowed to be wiped and the MDM removed.

davehale
New Contributor II

Recommend engaging AppleCare or submitting a bug report via bugreport.apple.com