Citrix Workspace server address setup

mhasman
Valued Contributor

Hello,

As Citrix replaced Receiver with Workspace, we are looking for best practice to deploy Citrix Workspace VDI server address and name.

Yes, setup is very simple but still manual. I looked after Citrix Workplace setup process, could not capture any XML .plist files to use for configuration profile. Any automation solutions, recommendations would be highly appreciated. Maybe scripting, file capturing, etc.

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12

mhasman
Valued Contributor

Seems like I captured the file:

~/Library/Application Support/Citrix Receiver/Config

Unfortunately, it does not look like .PLIST
I wish if there is a way to convert is to config profile somehow...

dgadd
New Contributor II

I'm coming across the same issue, and was wondering if you found a resolution that worked for you? While it's possible to manually type it, our users often mistype it and then swear that "it just doesn't work."

mhasman
Valued Contributor

I set up Workspace with needed server on my Mac, then captured the file:
~/Library/Application Support/Citrix Receiver/Config
and deploy the file to users' home directory with Citrix Workspace deployment

dgadd
New Contributor II

Sorry - New to this process. When I'm trying to convert it into a plist for JamfPro, I get an invalid file type.

mhasman
Valued Contributor

I do not convert that file to plist, I just capture it with Composer, make .dmg and deploy

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

@mhasman should I propagate permissions or just drag and drop as is?

mhasman
Valued Contributor

@jwojda I do not change permissions, only by deploying .dmg, I check "Fill existing user home directories (FEU)"

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

@mhasman hmm, okay, I tried that too, it looks like it tries to connect - prompts for my login, then spins for a bit and says Cannot connect to server.

Even just dragging/dropping the config file to a VM from a known working manual setup.

PhillyPhoto
Valued Contributor

Has anyone been able to get a custom plist configured to use in a config profile?

mhasman
Valued Contributor

No config profile
We deploy file "Config" to ~/Library/Application Support/Citrix Receiver/
Replacing SelectedStoreName, StoreName1, StoreURL1

SMR1
Contributor III

I know this is a little old, but how are you deploying the config dmg file you created?

bcbackes
Contributor III

I installed Workspace, then, used Composer to take a modified snapshot. After that completed, I opened Workspace, entered my company's URL and then adjusted the preferences to what we are looking for. Once that was done, I closed Workspace and reran the snapshot to capture what changed. Of course, you have to go in and remove the "extras" that are not needed, but, was able to get the config file and some of the other settings in the "com.citrix.receiver.nomas.plist" file.

I built the package as a DMG, uploaded into Jamf Admin and selected the FET FUT options. It appeared to work fine on the first Mac I deployed it to. However, I'll need to test it with a different user account to verify that things still work correctly.

After I did that, I got to thinking why don't I use a Schema and a config profile for some of the settings in "com.citrix.receiver.nomas.plist"? Well, I've never done a schema before, but, was able to create one that has a couple settings that matter to us. The settings we are targeting are: AutoUpdateState, CEIPEnabled, CitrixCastingEnabled, CrashReportingEnabled. Everything was locked down with the configuration profile with the exception of the Citrix Casting - for some strange reason I was still able to change that setting even though the configuration profile did initially disable it.

I apologize to anyone who does these schemas on a regular basis, my formatting isn't the greatest. I was just happy it "sort of" worked.

{
  "title": "com.citrix.receiver.nomas",
  "description": "Citrix Workspace",
  "properties": {
    "AutoUpdateState": {
      "type": "string",
      "title": "AutoUpdateState",
      "description": "Options are: Auto, Manual, Disabled.",
      "examples": [
        "Auto",
        "Manual",
        "Disabled"