Require password x minutes after sleep or screen saver

catfeetstop
Contributor II

I know there is a managed preference to require password immediately after sleep or screen saver begins but I'd like to require password 2 minutes after sleep or screen saver begins. Any idea how to do this?

Jamie Bell
Apple Technology Administrator
The Westminster Schools
Ph: 404-609-6345

9 REPLIES 9

catfeetstop
Contributor II

Thanks William! Unfortunately we're using Snow Leopard, any ideas?

Jamie Bell
The Westminster Schools

Not applicable

This is quick and easy using fseventer - in snow leopard as well. Launch fseventer, start recording, then see what preference changes when you change a setting.

I show this changing when I change the pref.
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver.plist

In there, I see
askForPassword number 1
and askForPasswordDelay number 5 <--- that's the time in seconds.

Just manage this user preference and you are done.

- Aaron

rockpapergoat
Contributor III

it's the same key for 10.6 or 10.7.

catfeetstop
Contributor II

To require password immediately set the "Require Password" key on the com.apple.screensaver MCX to "1". The only options on that key are on (1) or off (0), now if we can only figure out how to require after a few minutes instead of just immediately.

Jamie Bell
The Westminster Schools

talkingmoose

Seeing this on Lion:
On 8/26/11 7:55 AM, "Jamie Bell" <JamieBell at westminster.net> wrote:

Domain: com.apple.screensaver
Key: askForPasswordDelay
Type: real
Value: 60 <-- one minute

This is a user setting, by the way. You'll probably need to use User Level
Enforced and not System Level Enforced.

--

William Smith
Technical Analyst
Merrill Communications LLC
(651) 632-1492

catfeetstop
Contributor II

You guys are #1. That what I needed, thanks for the help!

Jamie Bell
The Westminster Schools

quedayone
Contributor

This is working on my 10.7 test systems. It is grayed out but users can still un check it. Anyone elce seeing it grayed out and un check-able?

external image link

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

quedayone, that's just a visual glitch in the OS. If you do Show All in System Preferences and go back in to Security, it should be checked again. In other words, if everything is set correctly, it may look like you can uncheck it, but it doesn't stick. IIRC, this visual glitch has been with us since around 10.4 or 10.5. At least its consistent :)

acdesigntech
Contributor II

Any reason why you'd set the screen saver to active after 10 minutes (600 seconds) but in the GUI it shows 20 minutes? These are the keys I'm using:

Require Password Apply to: User Level Enforced Key name: askForPassword Type: integer 1

Set password delay Apply to: User Level At Every Login Key name: askForPasswordDelay Type: real 0.0

Screen Saver Idle Time Apply to: System Level Enforced Key name: idleTime Type: integer 600

Login Window Screen Saver Idle Time Apply to: System Level Enforced Key name: loginWindowIdleTime Type: integer 600