Microsoft Office 2016 - App is not optimized

kevin_v
Contributor

Greetings!

We are trying to deploy a policy to install Microsoft Office 2016. Our build process utilizes splashbuddy. The process hangs up after Microsoft Office installs successfully but displays:

"The Microsoft Office Setup Assistance is not optimized for your Mac and needs to be updated".

What's funny is the installer is 64bit, but apparently the setup assistant is not? Strange...

We tried to suppress the notification with the following pre-flight Script:

#!/bin/bash
defaults write -g CSUIDisable32BitWarning -boolean TRUE

Once the install is complete, we re-enable via post-flight script:

#!/bin/bash
defaults delete -g CSUIDisable32BitWarning

Unfortunately, our efforts are coming up fruitless. Does anyone have any suggestions for disabling the non-optimized app?
dec71e2e2572432b93730d269795bbce

6 REPLIES 6

talkingmoose

Your script seems to be missing a component. Try these:

Before script:

/usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.coreservices.uiagent CSUIDisable32BitWarning -boolean TRUE

After script:

/usr/bin/defaults delete com.apple.coreservices.uiagent CSUIDisable32BitWarning

I suggest you take the first command and create a plist file that you can upload to Jamf Pro and then deploy as a configuration profile. Write the plist to your desktop using:

/usr/bin/defaults write ~/Desktop/com.apple.coreservices.uiagent.plist CSUIDisable32BitWarning -boolean TRUE

Then in Jamf Pro create a new configuration profile with a Custom Settings payload. Upload the plist from your desktop and scope to your Macs.

kevin_v
Contributor

Thanks Talkingmoose! Will give those a try. For anyone who cares - the Serializer was the culprit.

kevin_v
Contributor

@talkingmoose Unfortunately the commands are only valid for pre-Mojave systems.

Per your advice - it seems you might be correct with a Configuration Profile. Will now explore that.

This is handy tho:
https://github.com/rtrouton/profiles/tree/master/Disable32BitApplicationWarning

PaynePoint
New Contributor

@kevin.v Did you manage to make use of those profiles? I've tried, but when I upload them to our Jamf server the payload seems to get stripped out and I end up with a useless profile. Any methods you can share?

kevin_v
Contributor

We ultimately went to Office 2019 as we were never able to get it work with 2016.

kevin_v
Contributor

@PaynePoint - I believe you have to sign the mobileconfig before uploading to Jamf, otherwise Jamf will modify it when uploaded.

Related topic here:
https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/29242/custom-mobileconfig-profiles-being-filled-with-random-settings