macOS Mojave and JAMF Pro performance issue

Bernard_Huang
Contributor III

Hi all,

Don't know if any of you experience this.

Our fleet of Macbooks are on Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave.

On Mojave, it doesn't matter the year model of the Macbook, just seems to run really slowly when connecting with JAMF Pro.

For example, when I type in sudo jamf policy -event xyz, on Mojave, it would take 2-3 times as long to finish the policy than say on High Sierra.

When starting Self Service, on a Mojave Macbook, the app will take a few bounces, then it can connect with JAMF Pro and open up properly. On Sierra or High Sierra, it's fairly instantaneous.

Because it works great on Sierra and High Sierra, I don't believe JAMF Pro server performance is the issue. Rather I am thinking is Mojave blocking something?

We are currently on JAMF Pro 10.8. Would upgrading to later versions of JAMF Pro help?

7 REPLIES 7

Bernard_Huang
Contributor III

Side note: I have used suggestions from https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/29996/pppc-and-every-app-known-to-it to allow kernel extensions, so installations on macOS Mojave no longer needs to wait for user's permission to complete. Still, Mojave and our JAMF Pro just isn't performance well.

ICTMuttenz
Contributor

Which mojave version have you installed?

Bernard_Huang
Contributor III

My own work Macbook is on 10.14.2. Since a few months ago we have been onboarding people onto 10.14.3, and now 10.14.4.

Now that you mention it, on my own work Macbook running 10.14.2, my performance (when I need to connect with JAMF Pro) seems very much ok.

Does it mean there is performance issues with 10.14.3 & 4 ?

ICTMuttenz
Contributor

Can be. But i‘m not sure. So I would try with a update on jamf. But if can‘t update the jamf. I can test it for you today. What will you scope via policy? Script or packages?

The Macbook with 10.14.3-4 have they a t2 chip?

Bernard_Huang
Contributor III

Since you asked for it, I am timing the performance for a Mojave compared to High Sierra.

I am using 2 Macbook Pro 2015. No, neither of them would have T2 secure chips in them.

Both are using Wifi, therefore same network speed.
Both have just been rebooted, so there are no background tasks to slow them down.

For mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3
Start Self Service = 5.44s
Install Google Chrome v74 = 1:28.52s

For mac OS Mojave 10.14.3
Start Self Service = 55.53s
Install Google Chrome v74 = 2:24.37

The start up time of Self Service is 10 times worse when running on Mojave. Overall performance, as you can see, is also worse.
I cannot explain why this is happening.

maurits
Contributor

any errors in jamf.log? I would investigate these parts:

-ssl certificates in use (TLS requirements have gone up on Mojave, your jamf server may use self-signed or expired certs?)
-any extension attributes that have errors on 10.14? (SIP, Privacy, etc )
-same for inventory update (in 10.14 things like the size of the user's home folder may run into privacy errors)

sgayden
New Contributor

We're seeing the same latency related issues here, in our test group of machines that are on 10.14.3-4. All of our devices are non-T2 13" MacBook Airs. We're on hosted JAMF Pro 10.11.

Another issue that we're seeing is failed installs through JAMF Self Service. When installing VPP apps from the Apple App Store, through Self Service they fail inexplicably. However, in testing if we initiate the install directly from the Apple App Store the install completes without incident. This is no good for us, as our user base doesn't have Apple ID's so we rely on VPP installs through Self-Service.

The latency issues and failed installs aren't present on machines running 10.13.6. However, every machine that is on 10.14.3-4 is experiencing these issues.