Remote uninstall and install of app on a single device in a scope.

dtekum
New Contributor III

On Sophos MDM i can just click a device and see all the Apps installed on that device, i can uninstall and install an app on a single user's device without deleting it from other devices on the scope. I can seem to figure out a way to delete an app on specific users phone in Jamf. is that possible with jamf?

6 REPLIES 6

MBHardt
New Contributor II

Bumping this up to see if anyone has solved this. . . any thoughts here? I need to do this for troubleshooting a crashing app in my ecosystem. . . I certainly don't want to force uninstall all of them. . . but "restricting" the app keeps it installed but hidden from view. . . I'd like to delete it remotely and reinstall it remotely. Thanks in advance!

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

Assuming you are talking about VPP Apps, you can go in to the scope of the App and exclude the specific device from the scope. That will uninstall the App without affecting the other devices in the scope. When you are ready to re-install, just delete the exclusion.

techjason
Contributor

@MBHardt is this a mobile device or a computer? Was this app installed from the App Store? If this is a computer and not an App Store app, can you create a policy to uninstall the app?

Here are my recommendations:

App Store App installed by Jamf (Mobile or Computer):
If you add the specific device to the exclusion list in the scope tab of the Apps entry in Jamf, it should be removed from the device at the next check-in.

Installed Manually or by Jamf Policy (Computer):
1. Add this device to the exclusion in the scope of the policy that installs the app. 2. Create a policy that runs the uninstaller, scope it to that device, and have it run on the next check-in.

Once you know it is removed, you can then reverse the steps above.

MBHardt
New Contributor II

That did the ticket for me! Thanks @RBlount !!! you saved the day!

walt
Contributor III

@RBlount I tried that for an automatically installed Mac App Store App and it has not been removed from the computer. is this only applicable to iOS devices? or should the same work on Mac? thanks!

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

@walt I would have expected it to work the same, but I just tried it and am seeing the same as you. What is interesting is that the App is no longer listed in "Mac App Store Apps" under Management and the App is no longer showing a license associated. Defiantly unexpected behavior.