Beef up my Jamf pro Policie, CPs and features

kdean
New Contributor III

I want to provide a better user experience in general for my users. I found a script that will gently remind the user to restart their machine every 2 weeks. I am adding that this week.

My question is:

Does anyone else have any ideas or suggestions on how I should use Jamf Pro to create a better end user experience? I do not need suggestions on the management portion. I am trying to add scripts, policies and CP's that create more features for End Users etc. All suggestions are welcomed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottb
Honored Contributor

@kdean -see this thread
...for some ideas that might be of use here.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

kyleblanc
New Contributor III

One big thing I did for my environment in the past was creating a policy to enable a temporary admin privilege to the logged in user. Depending on your env, ymmv. It really cut down on help desk tickets going to tier 1. Also creating a script to mount each users personal SMB share on login was pretty helpful. Just a couple thoughts!

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

@kyleblanc can you share the temp admin policy/scripts/magic?
I've been trying to set something up but have a hard time getting it to work reliably.

jared_f
Valued Contributor

Big fan of Self Service, because most of my policies in Self Service are scoped of smart group membership, I am updating inventory every 15 minutes at check-in. Haven't seen any issues doing so. Side note, my Tomcat and MySQL are separate instances and I host my own JSS.

kdean
New Contributor III

@kyleblanc lol everyone in our environment has admin privileges... that will change probably when we go through SOC2 Type 2 certification but for now the whole environment has admin rights lol... yes please share that script if you can @kyleblanc so @jwojda and I can implement this.

scottb
Honored Contributor

@kdean -see this thread
...for some ideas that might be of use here.

kdean
New Contributor III

@scottb you are the man sir!!! This is exactly what I was asking!!!

landon_Starr
Contributor

@kyleblanc Would you mind sharing how you setup temporary admin privileges? I've played with it in the past but haven't had much luck.

ajfunk
Contributor
Would you mind sharing how you setup temporary admin privileges? I've played with it in the past but haven't had much luck.

I second this.

kyleblanc
New Contributor III

I can't take credit for something I didn't write lol but I used a modified version of this repo: https://github.com/kc9wwh/MakeMeAdminPy

It is essentially a python script that runs to make the user an admin and sets a launchdeamon to call the second script/policy to remove admin rights and perform a check to ensure compliancy (no second admin accounts were created, etc).

I also very recently stumbled onto this repo which seems to do an even better job at temp admin rights and gives the user a better visual clue: https://github.com/SAP/macOS-enterprise-privileges. I haven't been able to test this one as my env now includes all local admins (for now) lol - some notes on creating an installer for this one here

kdean
New Contributor III

Ok ty @kyleblanc I actually have used https://github.com/kc9wwh/macOSUpgrade from @kc9wwh_test I should have checked out his whole library on github