Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Error trying to locate volume at /

joethedsa
Contributor II

When I log into a Mac with admin priveleges, launch self service, then install a policy that runs some packages and also the command "softwareupdate -i -a", it errors out. The Jamf log reads "Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Error trying to locate volume at /.

Once the "Install" button changes to "Executing", I log out from the admin account (this is where I believe it breaks). This process is what a technician would do to get multiple computers (lab environment with identical Macs all with the same DeployStudio image) to run the same policy via SelfService. The end goal is to get the deployed DS image on the Mac updated with the latest software (Adobe CC, MS Office, browser updates, and OS patches). The technician would launch the Self Service policy, log off and then go to the next computer to repeat on the next computer. I thought once a policy is executed from Self Service, it runs as root and doesn't need anything additional thus allowing you to log off and not interrupt an installation from a policy? If I stay logged in, the policy is successful.

On a side note, I know this can be automated by using "Check In" but for some reason the policy doesn't complete (this is shown by adding the policy to the Dashboard to see the percentage of successful instances) unless it is done via Self Service and I stay logged in for the duration. I this is happening on multiple computers and I've flushed all policies so there was no history of it too.

3 REPLIES 3

patgmac
Contributor III

Did you find a solution for this? I'm seeing this on a handful of machines as well.

joethedsa
Contributor II

@patgmac , I wish I could say that it was resolved, but I'm still having this issue. Haven't heard a peep from anyone.

patgmac
Contributor III

I did manage to grab logs from an affected machine and found that the "/etc/sudoers" file is world-writable on that machine. So I added an EA to check the permissions on that file so I can see if it lines up with the other failures we're seeing.