escaping a \ in mobileconfg for AD auth for 365 setup

L-plateAdmin
Contributor

In my environment i am trying to setup our Mojave corp build with 365 and trying to take advantage of jamf passthorugh on mobile config.

problem i have although all our emails are the same domain, 'conesto' for example, a small set of users have a different activation address so i cant use $EMAIL for the activation address. i have tested and although i can setup Skype with $USERNAME@fqdn old style, i cant do that with our 365 portal so its either full email or domain login...................

how can i pass

conesto$USERNAME

as a activation value without json turning it to when it translates it from custom setting plist to MCX. i have tried to escape with but i only get it worse with \

what am i doing wrong

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

tdclark
Contributor

On this Jamf blog post -

Help users activate Microsoft Office 365 ...

They talk about creating an EA to grab the email address for Outlook instead of the UPN. Maybe something like that would help you?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

L-plateAdmin
Contributor

lol see it should work, to be clear the problem i getting double backslashes for single, and when i try doube backshall to escape the first i get quad backslashes.

any idea @talkingmoose

talkingmoose

@L-plateAdmin, not at a place where I can test this at the moment. You might try URL encoding the backslash:

domain%5c$USERNAME

tdclark
Contributor

On this Jamf blog post -

Help users activate Microsoft Office 365 ...

They talk about creating an EA to grab the email address for Outlook instead of the UPN. Maybe something like that would help you?

L-plateAdmin
Contributor

thanks @talkingmoose , tried a number of substitutes like URL and unicode, the nearest i got was using the HTML \ but it got interpreted early at the upload stage by Tomcat so when it was applied I still got the double backslash, but at least its rulled out a number of options.

@tdclark , oooh, hadn't seen this, how did i miss it?!? thankfully our UPNs are still the older email address that are registered to the office 365 tenant.

i think looking back it may well be the case that using a EA to combine a Domainuser return string as a work around to anyone who needs it..