iPad repairs

PaulHazelden
Valued Contributor

Hi We have just had an iPad that needed to be repaired.
There were a lot of emails back and forth, between us and them.
They were requesting that we remove the MDM profile off the iPad, and also to unregister it with DEP.
It took a while to find out what was required and why. They sent this...

Apple have release a new article that requires DEP/MDM profiles to be removed before we can perform the functional tests. See Apples addition to their repair process below.

This was change as of Friday 5th April 2019.

If your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple TV is repaired or replaced

If you send an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple TV to Apple for repair, unassign, it from your MDM server before sending it to Apple. If you don't, it might be returned to you without being repaired. You can reassign the device to your MDM server after it's repaired.

What was required is...

In the MDM, retire the device to drop the profile off of the device.

Then in Apple Schools Manager (Or Apple Business Manager or in Apple DEP portal) Go to Manage devices Enter either the serial number or order number of the devices. If you are trying to remove multiple devices, you can upload a CSV file with the device details.
Under Choose Actions select unassign device. This will unbind the device from this DEP account.

This is NOT retire the device, so the device will remain in the DEP system, but it gets disconnected from the system enough for them to run their tests. And then once it is returned. In Apple Schools Manager, Manage Devices find the device again, and choose to assign the device to a server, and it will return into DEP control. Erase the iPad and it will run the normal DEP/MDM setup.

I just thought I would share this with you, in case you get asked the same, and the repairer is not very good at articulating what is required.
I was kind of confused at first, as they were telling us that we had to remove the iPad from DEP and from our MDM. But in the end it was not that drastic.

0 REPLIES 0