Unable to FORCE 10.14.5.dmg Update.

CorpIT_eB
Contributor II

Hello JAMF Nation,

I could really use some assistance in FORCING the 10.14.5 update to my mac users, the problem is that I gave them the option in the first place to download it and install it. I opened the door for these users to never update despite my efforts.

Now, I want to force it to install but being extremely new to JAMF and not knowing how to really write scripts was wondering if anyone had any workflows I could use that would do this very thing. And being so new a quick visual would go a long way as am a hands on visual learner.

I have tried to push it out via a smartgroups and command actions but it does not work. I also tried creating a policy and adding the .dmg as a package for installation. I added my test machine to the scope and it says it installed restarts the computer as part of the payload but never really installs. My Guess is since it's a .dmg and needs to be mounted I have to have a script to get this done.

Thanks In Advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

So there's no need to use any tool for this. Simply upload the .pkg located inside the mounted disk image, as is, to your Jamf Pro environment, whether you do that through Jamf Admin or directly in the web UI if you have a cloud distribution point. Either way, Jamf takes those packages as is without a need to repackage them or add them to some other package or what-have-you.

My App Packager tool is for taking an application bundle (ending in .app) and creating an installer package (.pkg) into it. That's why you can't use it with an existing .pkg. Wrong tool for the job. :)

Edit: That is, if I'm understanding your situation correctly. I'm taking it that you downloaded something like this from Apple? - https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2001?locale=en_US Or the Combo version of that hopefully. If so, just mount the disk image and find that installer inside it and use that.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mm2270

What DMG are you using for the 10.14.5 update? The one directly from Apple? If so, then that's at least part of your issue. The installer pkg is located inside that DMG when mounted, which is what you want to copy up to your Jamf server to deploy, not the DMG itself. It will never get installed if that's what you're pushing to clients.

CorpIT_eB
Contributor II

@mm2270 Can you recommend a good way of getting or creating that .pkg I tried using your packager (great tool btw) and was not able to get a .app from it.

27758f6089cc4c10acadd0f74106e87c

I would use composer but to my Knowledge I don't think I can just drag & drop the .dmg into the composer and save it as a .pkg and deploy it that way?

mm2270

So there's no need to use any tool for this. Simply upload the .pkg located inside the mounted disk image, as is, to your Jamf Pro environment, whether you do that through Jamf Admin or directly in the web UI if you have a cloud distribution point. Either way, Jamf takes those packages as is without a need to repackage them or add them to some other package or what-have-you.

My App Packager tool is for taking an application bundle (ending in .app) and creating an installer package (.pkg) into it. That's why you can't use it with an existing .pkg. Wrong tool for the job. :)

Edit: That is, if I'm understanding your situation correctly. I'm taking it that you downloaded something like this from Apple? - https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2001?locale=en_US Or the Combo version of that hopefully. If so, just mount the disk image and find that installer inside it and use that.

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

Open (mount) .dmg.

Copy .pkg out to desktop.

Drag .pkg to Jamf Admin

Set policy to use the .pkg.

CorpIT_eB
Contributor II

@Taylor.Armstrong of course it would be something this simple! lol

CorpIT_eB
Contributor II

Does anyone know why it would not have pushed out the Smart group install via Actions --> Send Remote Commands --> Update OS version and built-in apps --> Download and install the update, and restart computers after installation.

This never did anything to my set test machine when completed, hence why I had to create the policy to force the install.

Also after creating the policy and it executes on the machine the computer goes into a boot loop and try's to install the the patch update over and over. I feel as this is may be due to the fact that I tied the policy to a Samrtgroup. These machines still show up as non patched till recon.