Settings in apps on iPads

JayDuff
Contributor II

I'm pretty sure this can't be done, but I have to ask:

Is it possible to push app settings to iOS devices with Jamf Pro?

Specifically, we want to force the Camera App to use Most Compatible mode (JPEG/H.264) instead of the default High Efficiency (HEIF/HEVC) format.

On macOS devices, this would be a Configuration Profile, I imagine. However, I don't see Camera settings in Jamf's Configuration Profiles, nor in the Restrictions Payload.

Apple probably hasn't allowed such a thing in the MDM API, so Jamf probably can't do it, but I wanted to ask here, to be sure.

2 REPLIES 2

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

It's actually up to the app developer to support this functionality. An example is how one configures the Self Service app to point to your Jamf Pro instance:

Manually Deploying Jamf Self Service for iOS

Step 16 shows the example XML code entered into the Preferences tab in the app catalog item. Variables (e.g. $SERIALNUMBER) can also be used to send device specific information.

Not sure if this is possible for buit-in apps (since there is no app catalog item used to install it) however. Perhaps a 3rd party camera app?

M_Tucker-JBE
New Contributor II

We just came across this exact issue at our school. We use Edsby and their app doesn't support HEIF/HEVC photos. I'd love to take the confusion out of the equation for the teachers and students attempting to upload photos.