Jamf Cloud and SUS

beeboo
Contributor

Im new to Jamf cloud and also this environment, however, i wanted to clarify a few things.

i came from a on-prem JSS with a FDS for packages and (previously) and SUS server before Apple server removed that functionality.

is it safe to assume that patching and updates for SUS (not jamf cloud) are managed exclusively by Apple or how do you guys manage software updates/packages?

unlike MSFT where its a set time where the updates are released, Apple more-or-less releases ad hoc. aside from critical security patches, im trying to figure out how to update in batches or at least manage it in a controlled manner

3 REPLIES 3

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@jcheLC You can set up Reposado server, or NetSUS (which incorporates Reposado) to control visibility of Apple updates.

beeboo
Contributor

is that the best option for controlled update releases?

what do the big companies do for updates, especially financial services companies.

if i add a net sus does it allow for scheduled releases?
IIRC the netsus would just cache the updates, not release it on schedule.

we want to create a unified exp for users so they only need to do updates/targeted reboots on specific times.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@jcheLC The SUS component of NetSUS allows you to control what updates are visible to the Macs that are directed to pull update catalogs from it. This allows you to vet updates before making them available to all of your users. The caching function is optional.