Check on which iPad is an app out of Self Service deployed/installed

f_mathe
New Contributor II

Hey guys,

is there any way to check, on which iPad or by which user an app out of self service is deployed?

Thanks a lot

7 REPLIES 7

RLR
Valued Contributor

Not always but usually when an app is installed from Self Service it appears as a managed app in the device inventory. Apps that are installed from the App Store appear as un-managed.

f_mathe
New Contributor II

Hey RLR,

thanks for your response.
Is it possible to scope all managed iPads for a specific app?
In this jamf context we managed round about 700 devices.
I can not click on every device to check if one specific app is deployed and managed or not.
Exist any better way?

RLR
Valued Contributor

I can't see a search criteria that looks for a specific app and whether it is managed or not. You could set the app to install on all devices and select the tick box: Make app managed if currently installed as unmanaged - Manage the app if it is currently installed as an unmanaged app (the user is prompted to allow management on unsupervised devices).

bcampbell
Contributor

Do you want to know if any app (including those in Self Service) has been installed without using Self Service (I think that's what RLR is talking about) or do you just want to know about all installed apps that do not exist in Self Service?

For the latter, you can do a search using the criteria "Apps Not in the App Catalog Are Installed". I have a smart device group using that criteria that that sets a student's iPad background to an obvious to teachers red with a message telling them to delete "unauthorized" apps.

RLR
Valued Contributor

That's a nice idea bcampbell. I've just done this but most of our iPads appear as the app store appears as unmanaged. Do you have the app store in your device catalogue.

bcampbell
Contributor

@RLR App Store does not appear in inventory so it doesn't show up as an app not in the catalog. Maybe you are thinking of Apple Store, which is Apple's shopping app (for physical things not software) and not the same thing. You can delete Apple Store or add it to the catalog as it is just a regualr app although it may come preinstalled on a new iPad. (I don't remember.)

RLR
Valued Contributor

Yep, you're correct. Many thanks.