Patch Management - Where to get packages?

CCNapier
Contributor

Hi,

We are finally getting around to Patch Management feature and I want to create a patch policy... but must first "add a package to a software title version". To ensure I'm not missing something:
--

1) Do I need to find the package from the web or does JAMF provide these for us somewhere as a download?

2) What if a PKG file isn't available (i.e. just a DMG with a .APP inside)? Can I just upload the DMG and use that?

--

i.e. Google Chrome 75.0.3770.100:
- I just head to https://cloud.google.com/chrome-enterprise/browser/download/?h1=en
- use the download link (for DMG)
- upload that DMG to my DP
- create Definition

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

You need to make the packages, or download packages (.pkg, NOT DMG).

Uploading a downloaded DMG will produce unexpected results.

Note that many downloads (like Google) will be a DMG with a PKG inside of it. Upload the PKG, NOT the DMG.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

1) You need to find the relevant packages. Jamf doesn't provide them for you. However, the Third-Party Products section here at JamfNation is a pretty good resource for these titles and getting straight to their download pages, so, while Jamf doesn't provide the packages to you directly from a source, they do help by having those pages there.

Keep in mind though, that anyone in the Jamf community can edit those pages, so just be sure to verify the links to be sure they are getting you what you expect.

2) Most vendor supplied DMGs will not work in Jamf Pro as is. In fact, I'd say none of them do since typically they have an app at the root level of the mounted volume, and "Jamf" type DMGs need a folder structure telling it where files should go. So, no, you can't use them as is. You'd need to build a proper package in a program like Composer or Packages.app, etc before you can use them in a Jamf Pro policy.

SmithersJr
New Contributor II

AutoPkg is an excellent tool for getting those packages! Check out the ".jss" recipes for packages that are automatically prepared for (and even loaded to) your JSS.

CCNapier
Contributor

Thanks for the responses.
It was as expected generally, but thought I should check it out before moving on (the documentation wasn't really clear on that).