msupdate script saying no updates applied

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

I run @pbowden 's update script with the changes for 2019 o365 apps and have a separate policy that updates MAU to the current version. What I'm finding is that a lot of devices are running the update but reporting No updates applied in the script logs. So I ssh'd into a few of them and ran the msupdate -l and it shows updates for all the apps and then running msupdate -i and it updates all of the apps as expected.

Detecting and downloading updates... No updates applied Detecting and downloading updates... No updates applied Detecting and downloading updates... No updates applied Detecting and downloading updates... No updates applied Detecting and downloading updates... No updates applied Detecting and downloading updates... No updates applied
8 REPLIES 8

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@jwojda Have you updated Microsoft Auto Update on those machines? I always push the new MAU rather than having it update itself.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

yes, I have a separate policy that has updated MAU, they should/are all on the current release.

seraphina
Contributor II

I have found that msupdate doesn't work over ssh, is it a console session or a VNC session?

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

it's running the policy/script through jamf.

Brad_G
Contributor II

What is the version of macOS? JSS?

I had a similar issue on a newly reloaded Mac (10.14.5). In my case we had to update the PPPC config profile after we'd updated the JSS to 10.13. The thing that tipped me off was running it from command line on the local machine is the popup that asked if I wanted to let jamf have permission to MAU.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

all of them I guess, but at least 10.13.x/10.14.x

We're cloud hosted, so 10.13.0. What update did you do to the pppc? I haven't noticed any popups about it, but I also haven't been sitting down in front of the machines, I've just been randomly sshing into them.

Brad_G
Contributor II

@jwojda I didn't create the PPPC config profile, a colleague did. But what we'd noticed is that the popup display would ask to allow "jamf" to have access to MSupdate. So we changed and gave both jamf and jamfagent access. But this probably wouldn't effect the 10.13.x machines so may not be the same problem you're up against.

rqomsiya
Contributor III

Use Paul bowdens reg mau and ensure you have the PPPC mdm profile installed. Those two things fixed the same issue you had for me.