iPads in Enterprise - Multiple users

gbunner
New Contributor III

We have a handful of iPads in our IT department that are intended to be used by multiple users when they go out into the field (internally). Mostly they will be checking on and updating tickets in out ticketing system.

They are supervised DEP devices enrolled into JAMF. They are essential configure as a single generic user with a password. Has anyone configured and used iPads in a corporate environment using the shared iPad configuration like you would in a school? If so, how are you doing it? would I create a managed Apple I.D for each user?

I'm trying to avoid users having access to other peoples information on a shared device if they don't log out of the ticketing system after they use the device.

Thanks!
Gene

8 REPLIES 8

RLR
Valued Contributor

I work in a school but we have a couple of shared mode iPads for specific staff departments. They're setup as shared iPads for the staff that are going to be using them. Each user will need their own Managed Apple ID which they sign into on the device. You can then create a "Class" in jamf with those users in and attach that class to the iPads.

Edit: You may want to check the iPads are compatible with Shared iPad mode first here

gbunner
New Contributor III

Thanks for your reply! My iPads are compatible with Shared iPad mode, but after working with JAMF support, I've discovered that I am unable to put an iPad into shared iPad mode and utilize classes without Apple School Manager. I'm not sure if I can sign up for School Manager to utilize some of the features, even though I'm not a school? I guess I'll have to ping Apple about that, but I doubt I'll be able to.

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

At this point in time, I don't think this is possible. As you mentioned, Apple requires ASM to utilize Classes. And, as of right now, Managed Apple IDs are only used for logging in to ABM. They can be used as regular AppleIDs or to like MAIDs in the Educational market. That is going to change in the fall (at least if you can use Federated Authentication with ABM). But, at this point, there is still no way to utilize the Educational Shared iPad in an Enterprise environment.

edickson
Contributor

Could you launch the ticketing system software in single app mode? That way that would be the only app they could run in the field?

mickgrant
Contributor III

have you considered jamf setup and reset?

gbunner
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply's. Single app mode might be a good solution. I'm also looking into the JAMF Setup and Reset apps. The one question about those apps that I'm trying to get clarification from Jamf support is if I can configure a passcode in the setup. My thinking is, if a tech configures an iPad with Jamf setup, and then leave the iPad sitting out in the field, I don't want an iPad sitting around on a users desk without a passcode on it.

RLR
Valued Contributor

You can use a config profile to enforce a passcode.

gbunner
New Contributor III

Yes, I do have a passcode config in place for my normal iPad configs. I was wondering if it's possible to enable a passcode using the Jamf Setup app. I'm told from Jamf support that while it is technically possible through a couple of work arounds to config a passcode during the Jamf Setup app config, but it is not recommended to do so. I will be submitting this as a feature request for Jamf setup for sure, and at the same time hoping that Apple brings Shared iPad functionality to the Enterprise like they've done with Apple Classroom.