Jamf Parent

joelande
Contributor

Reading between the lines in the documentation:
https://docs.jamf.com/10.14.0/jamf-pro/administrator-guide/Integrating_Jamf_Parent_with_Jamf_Pro.html

Am I to infer that in order for parents to restrict their students' iPads:
1. The parents need their own iOS device (they cannot use the student's iOS device to enable restrictions)
2. Each parent will need an account on our JAMF server9da5a22e5e4e45a9995b3232f78915be

7 REPLIES 7

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

1) That is correct.
2) No (They can scan a QR code on the student devices Self-Service app).

joelande
Contributor

FYI — In testing I have found that after disabling App Lock, all the apps get placed randomly across various home screens, all of your folder and app organization is blown away. The issue is most notable when locking/restricting the iPad to more than one app.

I submitted to JAMF support and they created a new PI: PI-007303

Emmert
Valued Contributor

The Jamf Parent app is iOS only, not web-based? That's disappointing.

joelande
Contributor

Another bug found:

When responding to my support case, JAMF linked me to similar problems with Apple's Classroom app (based on reviews):
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/classroom/id1085319084

Until reading the reviews of Classroom, I did not attribute another bug I started seeing to JAMF Parent:

When the parent disables App Lock, in addition to messing up the home screen and folder layouts, all apps that had previously been allowed to send notifications give you a new prompt asking you to allow notifications again.

This happens to every app after enabling and then disabling App Lock. Launch an app that offers notifications, like Self Service, and you will be asked again to allow notifications. Every time after App Lock is disabled.

KatieE
Contributor
Contributor

@Emmert We're definitely evaluating feedback to understand how else to help our customers access this functionality. Is your objection related to the app or the platform limitation?

@joelande Thanks for finding that additional issue, and for trying out the app!

Emmert
Valued Contributor

Hi @kenglish, I can't in good conscience recommend this to my parents if it's limited to Apple devices only. I'm sure all of them have cell phones, but how can I guarantee they all have access to an iPhone or non-student iPad? Sorry about that.

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

In Jamf Pro you can "Remove restrictions set by Jamf Parent" but how do you permanently sever the link between student and parent? I know you can remove the student account from the Jamf Parent app but I can see needing to sever this link administratively at times.